Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my engine rebuild and I have everything apart and will be taking the block to a machine shop to get worked on in the next few weeks. Meanwhile I am curious as to the "build" procedure.

They are going to hone the cylinder walls (and I will be blue printing the block). After that I will then know what piston size to get right?

After I order the pistons and rods (with bearings) I then give the pistons, rods, and crank to the shop and they balance everything right? Do they need bearings for the mains also at this time? or just for the rods?

Also what about the harmonic balance? Do they do the balancing the crank with the harmonic balancer on also?

Any help on the process that I should follow or expect to follow would be appreciated... as this is my first engine build.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
A step in which they measure the wear in the cylinder bores and tell you if you need to get the cylinders bored and oversize pistons and rings..
you missed that step.
IF the bore is clean and not excessively worn, THEN they can just hone and you buy the correct size/oversize pistons/rings/
IF the bore is clean, and the pistons are also clean, then you only need to buy new piston rings.
If the cylinder bores are messed up then you have to have the bores machined to the next piston oversize. and buy new pistons and rings that fit.
So they have to look at it all, measure the bore.. in a LOT of places. and the pistons. then tell you what is what.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Balance:

You'll need the pressure plate, clutch, bolts, flywheel, 1 piston, rings, rod, rod bearing, rod bolts and the crank pulley (also so you use the correct term, it's a crankshaft dampener and not a balancer on the zetec) to balance the crank.

There is also a process to balance the pistons/rods.

Read through the Engine Balancing links and you'll have a good understanding of the process --> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227748

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Elizabeth - I think I got that part covered... the walls have no scoring what so ever and the current piston rings looked good. I am buying all new JE pistons, The shop will tell me to by either the 85mm or the 85.5mm pistons.

iminhell - Thanks! I will have to check that out. So if I wanted to "waste" money and get a new "light weight" Crank Pulley, I need to do that now... that's not going to happen...

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
They are going to hone the cylinder walls (and I will be blue printing the block). After that I will then know what piston size to get right?
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*NO ! You need to take them the pistons first that way they know what size to take the bore to when boring/honing

After I order the pistons and rods (with bearings) I then give the pistons, rods, and crank to the shop and they balance everything right? Do they need bearings for the mains also at this time? or just for the rods?
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*All you need to take them for balancing is the crankshaft , 4 rods , 4 pistons this does not require any bearings

Also what about the harmonic balance? Do they do the balancing the crank with the harmonic balancer on also?
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* Yes take your harmonic balancer , flywheel , clutch assy but DO NOT balance these to the engine they would do a neutral balance to these but from what I have found they are very very close

Tom

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*NO ! You need to take them the pistons first that way they know what size to take the bore to when boring/honing
So should I go with the 85.5mm JE pistons? Dont you want to go as "small" as you can but the machine shop will let you know the condition of the block to let you know if that size will work? Is the difference between the 85mm and the 85.5mm is just the ring size that comes with the fixed piston size. Is there any disadvantage to using the 85.5mm other than if another engine rebuild is needed the block it done since it "cant" be bored out anymore?

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*All you need to take them for balancing is the crankshaft , 4 rods , 4 pistons this does not require any bearings
This is because when balancing they will make each rod/piston assembly "equal" in weight and then put "dummy" weights on the crankshaft right? Or they just balance everything seperatly...

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* Yes take your harmonic balancer , flywheel , clutch assy but DO NOT balance these to the engine they would do a neutral balance to these but from what I have found they are very very close
My Flywheel is a FS Aluminum, is it worth still taking that? I am not sure if the shop can do much with that flywheel...

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
So should I go with the 85.5mm JE pistons? Dont you want to go as "small" as you can but the machine shop will let you know the condition of the block to let you know if that size will work? Is the difference between the 85mm and the 85.5mm is just the ring size that comes with the fixed piston size. Is there any disadvantage to using the 85.5mm other than if another engine rebuild is needed the block it done since it "cant" be bored out anymore?
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* I would go no less then .007 over that will allow you to go to .020 next time , or got to .020 now odds are you will never do another build anyway

This is because when balancing they will make each rod/piston assembly "equal" in weight and then put "dummy" weights on the crankshaft right? Or they just balance everything seperatly...
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*What your calling "dummy" weights are called bob weights and in line engines do not require these to be on the crank why balancing the rotating assy

My Flywheel is a FS Aluminum, is it worth still taking that? I am not sure if the shop can do much with that flywheel...
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* In my opinion no I would worry with the balancer or the Alum Fly and clutch assy and save your money from the crap UDP

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts