Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive spent a few hours on this forum searching and reading about the balance shaft delete mod. And as most of you know there is a ton of controversy over this mod and the benefits and drawbacks. What im hoping to accomplish with this thread is get some feedback from people that did the mod a while ago (hopefully a year or more) and can say something like, "Ive had it for 2 years now and I think this..." I would also like some general opions on it like, "I just installed it and..." I understand how to install it and the install itself is defintely easy enough and not really of concern (at least not for me and the intended purpose of this thread). Im hoping to get opinions on things like increased vibrations, quicker revs, better mileage, smoother or harsher operation, etc. Obviously the main concern with the BS delete is the longevity of the engine and the car (from vibration) and the positive/negative affects the BS delete can have on this. I know I am not the only one thats slightly unsure on the BS delete kit, so any and all opinions for or against it are welcome, and I thank you in advance.

If you think you understand what the balance shaft delete kit does but you want some more information about it, I found this article to be very informative and full of well thought out, intelligent opinions.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37449&highlight=balance+shaft+delete

If your asking yourself "what is a balance shaft delete kit?" Please dont post here read this...

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129355&highlight=balance+shaft+delete

My final question: Ive often heard the argument that the Ford Ranger uses the "same" 2.3 liter engine and it doesnt use a BS, but can someone confirm that is the same block, crankshaft, rods, pistons, etc? Id be willing to bet the cams are a little different (aimed more for torque since its a truck) and the computer is probably tuned a little different. But im concerned with the main components around the BS, especially the engine block and crank.

Thanks, in advance for any input.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I know the Ranger 2.3 has a different crankshaft and some people that build N/A 2.3's use the ranger's crankshaft. I don't think the vibrations would cause any problems, I think the BS is just a creature comfort. Honestly I think more harm would come from installing a CAI because you make more power which in turns wears down your engine faster. Plus you get to add more oil when you take out the BS. If you are that worried about modding the car over something so small that will give you little performance then I wouldn't mod at all. If the BS would cause so much trouble Im sure you would be hearing alot about it in forums.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
the reason people use the ranger crank is because it has less rotational mass than the 2.3 duratec focus crank... because if you look at the focus crank it has the extra "gear ring" on it to drive the balance shaft.. wheres the ranger 2.3 does have a balance shaft at all so the "gear ring" isnt on the crank thus reducing the rotational mass.

·
PIMP'N AINT EASY
6,485 Posts
thoes vibrations everybody is scared about were always there....the bs only cancels them out for cabin comfort...its harmless to remove and i like the slight added vibrations....makes the car feel more...mean....and ive had mine removed for about a year now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the input so far guys, this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Ive read over and over again that the BS is there only as a "creature comfort" thing, and I can definetly see the grounds for that argument. Anyone notice any premature wearing of the rubber engine mounts? I definetly like the added oil too, 5+ in a little 4 cylinder is awesome.

EGZ, how many miles are on your engine, and how many would you say youve put on since the BS delete? Thanks.

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
I'm right around 10k miles BS free. Also, IDK why but my car uses 6 full quarts. I went to a quick oil change place because I have anywhere to change my oil myself and told them I brought my own oil. So I proceeded to get the oil and filter out of the trunk and when I handed them the 6 quarts and told them to put it all in they gave me the weirdest look ever. Took me like 30 freaking minutes to get them to believe me.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I had the mod on the old engine for about 15-18k miles, then I had to replace it because I had a sensor pop out on track dumping all my oil (my mistake when installing an oil pressure gauge). Since then, the new engine has been BS free for another 6k. But it never gave me an ounce of problems.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume those 15-18K were pretty hard miles? Sounds like you were at the track fairly frequently?

Any thoughts on the increased vibrations felt in the car? How severe/noticeable are they?

Has anyone actually done any tests to show how much faster the engine spools up? I understand that this mod doesnt necesarily add HP (maybe a little) but allowing the engine to spin faster and more freely will FEEL like more HP, which is the whole point.

Im leaning towards trying it, but I expect at least 100,000 miles out of this car with no major work, its at 30,000 now.

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
Lets just say when I got in my car and revved it I accidentally bounced off the rev limiter.

I normally end up at 6500rpms, not this time. If I had to guess I would say that I probably would have been just over 7000rpms if the rev limiter wasn't there.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I did the BS delete mod last year, and have 23k miles on it and my turbo kit. there are almost 70k miles on my car right now, and I don't believe you will have any negative long term effects from removing it. It is JUST a comfort thing. The 2.3l ranger engine is the same I'm almost positive as the focus. the int/exh manifolds are different of course but the rods and pistons are the same as well as the crankshaft. I just replaced my rods and pistons with ranger ones because I blew my old ones and they were perfect.

BTW all 23k miles were HARD MILES, so hard I blew 2 pistons lol.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i've had mine out for a month now, i've put on 4,ooo kms since. I do notice more vibration than with out it, i feel it in the stickshift, a little in the pedals. I notice a gain in acceleration, i hear the tires squeel a bit before the tracton control kicks in, a little more torque? And the revs doent float as much, when i first drove it, i felt like the engine was lighter, lesser of a drag on the motor?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts