Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been battling a vibration issue ever since I purchased my 2002 Focus SVT. I new I was in for a project and I have so far been able to find and fix all its issues and so far I love this little machine. The only thing I have not been able to solve is the vibration I get at various speeds . I've made the assumption it was wheel balance related and have put on new tires and have had the wheels balanced on a road force balancer 4 times. I was told I had one slightly bent wheel the first balance so I had it put on the back thinking the front true wheels would run vibration free but that has not happened. The last (4th) balance the tire place said I have 2 bent wheels (I didn't get a chance to view the bent wheels) so I again had them put those on the rear. Still getting vibration in the front I went back to the tire store and they said new wheels and off set rings will fix this vibration. So I made an appointment this week to put new wheels on.

Today I replaced both headlights with new ones to update the look and while I had it on ramps and was under the car I noticed what looks like a shaft weight on the drivers side axle. I than looked at the passenger side axle and it does NOT have this collar weight. I could be wrong on my description but I am a longtime boater and the collar on the drivers side axle looks like the shaft sacrificial anodes I would bolt onto the prop shafts on my boat. Am I seeing this right? If so the fact that there isn't one on the passenger side shaft could that be causing the vibration I'm battling with? I know this is a long shot but thinking about this after buttoning up the car today has me wondering?

This is a really long run on stream of thought but does anyone have some input? If not I will go ahead and put new wheels on hope that fixes the vibe I'm feeling. Other than this issue the car seems solid.

Thanks in advance for reading my crazy description and I hope someone gets my drift!

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
3,138 Posts
I have been battling a vibration issue ever since I purchased my 2002 Focus SVT. I new I was in for a project and I have so far been able to find and fix all its issues and so far I love this little machine. The only thing I have not been able to solve is the vibration I get at various speeds . I've made the assumption it was wheel balance related and have put on new tires and have had the wheels balanced on a road force balancer 4 times. I was told I had one slightly bent wheel the first balance so I had it put on the back thinking the front true wheels would run vibration free but that has not happened. The last (4th) balance the tire place said I have 2 bent wheels (I didn't get a chance to view the bent wheels) so I again had them put those on the rear. Still getting vibration in the front I went back to the tire store and they said new wheels and off set rings will fix this vibration. So I made an appointment this week to put new wheels on.

Today I replaced both headlights with new ones to update the look and while I had it on ramps and was under the car I noticed what looks like a shaft weight on the drivers side axle. I than looked at the passenger side axle and it does NOT have this collar weight. I could be wrong on my description but I am a longtime boater and the collar on the drivers side axle looks like the shaft sacrificial anodes I would bolt onto the prop shafts on my boat. Am I seeing this right? If so the fact that there isn't one on the passenger side shaft could that be causing the vibration I'm battling with? I know this is a long shot but thinking about this after buttoning up the car today has me wondering?

This is a really long run on stream of thought but does anyone have some input? If not I will go ahead and put new wheels on hope that fixes the vibe I'm feeling. Other than this issue the car seems solid.

Thanks in advance for reading my crazy description and I hope someone gets my drift!
Axle vibration is usually more pronounced under acceleration or at a particular speed. On my black svt the vibration started at 80mph under acceleration and worked it's way down to 45 mph before I replaced the axles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your description is much better than my word salad! This is what I am experiancing. I have a feeling it isnt my wheels ... well part of it may be but I like to drive this car as it was intended (fast) and I feel the vibations like you described. Is that collar on the drivrside axle supposed to be there and if so should there be one on the passenger side?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Your description is much better than my word salad! This is what I am experiancing. I have a feeling it isnt my wheels ... well part of it may be but I like to drive this car as it was intended (fast) and I feel the vibations like you described. Is that collar on the drivrside axle supposed to be there and if so should there be one on the passenger side?
The collar was present on the drivers side but not the passenger side on both my 04's. Passenger side axle is the one the power goes through so it may be your issue. I used Cardone new axles off of Rockauto on both my SVTS. So far they are working perfectly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The collar was present on the drivers side but not the passenger side on both my 04's. Passenger side axle is the one the power goes through so it may be your issue. I used Cardone new axles off of Rockauto on both my SVTS. So far they are working perfectly.
Is it best to replace both axles at the same time?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Is it best to replace both axles at the same time?
Absolutely. Drivers side requires an adapter and a slide hammer. Rent the slide hammer from Autozone and the tool I bought from NAPA.Be a good time to replace the upper oil pan gasket if it is leaking as the passenger side axle and carrier bearing housing have to come off fir that job.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want to leave your struts and knuckles in place during the repair, I have a procedure for that if you want.
Thank you sir! I had everything in the drive train double checked and all was good. No leaks, weeps or issues with my drive shafts so I went ahead with the new wheels and poof it drives like new! It looks much better as well. Only one small issue I need some pointers on. I'll post that tonight and post a pic of the new sneakers!
Now to go drive it like I stole it ...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Thank you sir! I had everything in the drive train double checked and all was good. No leaks, weeps or issues with my drive shafts so I went ahead with the new wheels and poof it drives like new! It looks much better as well. Only one small issue I need some pointers on. I'll post that tonight and post a pic of the new sneakers!
Now to go drive it like I stole it ...
Glad it was that easy!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Drivers side requires an adapter and a slide hammer. Rent the slide hammer from Autozone and the tool I bought from NAPA.Be a good time to replace the upper oil pan gasket if it is leaking as the passenger side axle and carrier bearing housing have to come off fir that job.
When I did my clutch, I gathered the worst case scenario parts to get the axle out (pry bars, long punch to go from the passenger side, etc.). Popped out ZERO issue with a little nudge from the pry bar (I know, lucky).

Getting it out of the hub end though... I gave up with the air hammer and just took the entire knuckle off with axle. Didn't even budge.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man thanks for all the support! My little SVT drives like new without any shake or vibration under load and cruising at any speed. The car is solid!
Here is a pic of the new wheels.

Attachments

·
FF Affiliate
31,419 Posts
A trick to taking out the drivers side axle with out buying the tool , has worked every time for me , Have some one apply Psi prying out the axle , doesnt need a lot , long punch in through the Pass side axle hole of the trans onto the drivers side axle ( make sure you look and you on the axle not the shaft for the spider gears ) give it a good smack and it will come flying out

Tom

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
A trick to taking out the drivers side axle with out buying the tool , has worked every time for me , Have some one apply Psi prying out the axle , doesnt need a lot , long punch in through the Pass side axle hole of the trans onto the drivers side axle ( make sure you look and you on the axle not the shaft for the spider gears ) give it a good smack and it will come flying out

Tom
I've read multiple times, this is the best way. I believe 1/4" rod is what'll fit through easy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fyi, turns out two of the after market wheels had substantial damage that was not visable on the outside which was the root cause of all the vibration. New wheels fixed the issue.
Thanks to all that contributed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I did my clutch, I gathered the worst case scenario parts to get the axle out (pry bars, long punch to go from the passenger side, etc.). Popped out ZERO issue with a little nudge from the pry bar (I know, lucky).

Getting it out of the hub end though... I gave up with the air hammer and just took the entire knuckle off with axle. Didn't even budge.
My '03 SVT had a bad drivers side hub bearing and I ended u using an axle puller to press thee axle out if the hub. The kit came with a a new hub so I cleaned up the axle splines and anti-siezed them before I reassembled. PIA!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My '03 SVT had a bad drivers side hub bearing and I ended u using an axle puller to press thee axle out if the hub. The kit came with a a new hub so I cleaned up the axle splines and anti-siezed them before I reassembled. PIA!
Good to know, thank you! I'll have to grab one for next time. Maybe the PB Blaster will have worked between now and then 😅

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good to know, thank you! I'll have to grab one for next time. Maybe the PB Blaster will have worked between now and then 😅
Just FYI, I had to use a 3/4 drive ratchet with a cheater pipe to push it out. Just remember that the axle nut is single use, so without taking the nut off I don't think the blaster can get in there.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Just FYI, I had to use a 3/4 drive ratchet with a cheater pipe to push it out. Just remember that the axle nut is single use, so without taking the nut off I don't think the blaster can get in there.
I threw new ones on :) But yea I did have the nut off since the flange obscures the splines

1 - 19 of 19 Posts