Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys and Gals!

My baby girl (focus 1.6 ghia, 99 - modified now very sexy!) is very sick. Has been unwell for a while, lumpy on tick over and big misfire when driving. Diagnostics said Master Air Flow meter - changed and no better. Someone else said needs motorkraft plugs- changed and no better. Lad at ford said Coil Pack common fault - changed and seemed fine.

Yesterday went for a spin - all fine in 5th gear, changed down at the roundabout to 3rd, burrrrr NO POWER! Down to 2nd, burrrr NO POWER - 10 MPH out of roundabout on dual carriageway big trouble!! Pulled in had to fone my fella (irritating as I normally look after myself!) He managed to get it the 8 miles home , but every time had to slow down same problem!

Can get it to go but as soon as slow down can't pick up, turn engine off start again and your laughing! - until you need to slow again.

My first time on this fourm, seems like you boffins know yur stuff- PLEASE HELP!!

TA - Amy

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
just a suggestion... something to look into is possibly the fuel pump. i do no know if it is under recall for the 99 1.6 ghia (because we dont have that here in the US) but i do know for our 00-01 2.0 focus' there is a recall on the fuel pump.

by the way, i dont know if a boffin is a good or bad complinment, so i'll just assume it is a good one and say thanks... lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, he is out there at the mo trying the fuel filter. He has also considered the pump but its Sunday and we had a spare filter in the shed so first things first!

'Boffins' is meant highly respectfully. A term of endearment for people who know their onions!

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
yeah the fuel filter is supposed to be changed every 30,000 miles or roughly 48,000km whichever you prefer to go by. hopefully for your sake it is something that easy to fix.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
the Mass Air Meter code can also be set by a faulty Throttle Position Sensor, so if the fuel filter doesn't fix your problem, you may want to check the TPS (you will need a graphing multi-meter or a scan tool to correctly check it, but its a fairly cheap part)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel Filter didn't make a blind bit of difference. Just got home from taking it back for diagnostics, computer says Master Air Flow Meter - changed this last week and didn't make any difference so took it back, parts here are extortionate! £120 for the meter. Have to go try again then go and have the diagnostics done again!

Its crazy, my fella been a mechanic for 17 years but these days you need to be an IT whizz to be able to fix a car!!

I'll let you all know how it goes!

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Amy, please read my post above before you purchase another meter.

The code that is setting actually tell you that the car see's an error in the relationship of the MAF and the TPS. Either part could cause the actual failure. Since you already tried the meter, why don't you try the less expensive and easier to replace TPS?

Just trying to help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts