Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick Q:

I am painting my badges, and you know how when you remove them, they have that black adhesive that is still stuck to the trunk? I peeled that all away, but the clear residue is still there. I used WD-40, which helped a bit, but the clear stuff is still there. If I put new double stick tape (the stuff made for badges and moulding by 3m), will I have hold issues, or do I NEED to take the oldstuff down to the trunk surface?

Nick

·
Registered
63 Posts
The adhesive is just stuck to the top of the clear coat as far as I know. So you dont want to sand it down or anything that would be bad.

When I debadged my car I peeled the left over tape off with my fingers and then went over it pretty heavily with goo gone. It took a while to get it all off and look nice but now you cant tell. I also waxed the area where the badges had been.

EDIT: I would try as hard as you can to put the tape on a clean dry surface to get a strong solid hold. So keep working at getting the area clean but dont damage it by going to far.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
I would say make sure all the old residue is off just to be safe. Maybe CAREFULLY scrape with a razor blade? That's what I did with mine. Mind you I say VERY CAREFULLY!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Midas said:
The adhesive is just stuck to the top of the clear coat as far as I know. So you dont want to sand it down or anything that would be bad.

When I debadged my car I peeled the left over tape off with my fingers and then went over it pretty heavily with goo gone. It took a while to get it all off and look nice but now you cant tell. I also waxed the area where the badges had been.

EDIT: I would try as hard as you can to put the tape on a clean dry surface to get a strong solid hold. So keep working at getting the area clean but dont damage it by going to far.
Yes this is just what I did. Goo-Gone a wonderfull product still takes some work and you will put swirl marks in the paint but they can be removed with polish and a waxing machine. I'll post a pic tomarrow of the polish and machine I used.

·
Registered
800 Posts
borrow ur girlfriends blow dryer put it on hot and blowdry the area for like 30 seconds and then rub it with ur finger heating up the glue will loosen it and it will roll off on ur finger thats what i did when i took off that gay ass dealership emblem

·
Registered
759 Posts
I used a sticker adheasive remover and an old block buster card...

·
Registered
800 Posts
waht did u use to paint ur calipers, i want mine red to match my car, what kind of paint

·
Registered
759 Posts
caliper paint...

·
Registered
800 Posts
lol dumb question. do you have to take the caliper off to paint it ir can you just tape off the disk and lines and paint it in the disk cause i live in appartments and they really frown on disassembling ur ride up here

·
Registered
759 Posts
no you don't have to take it off in order to paint it, you don't even have to tape it off if you have a steady hand. I also live in a complex, all I did was was jack it up and and took off the wheel. About 40 minutes per caliper including taking the wheel off and on.

·
Registered
759 Posts
the rear drum isn't worth it

·
Registered
800 Posts
i did the whole reset button thing on the dash for ur trip meter and i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got the digital tach and speedometer and dte thats how far u can go before u run out of gas also it has a guage test that runs all ur gages up to the max for like 2 seconds for those of u who will never see 140 mph do this lol or if u want to pretend you have a full tank of gas hahahaha. now HERES HOW TO DO IT push down the trip reset button, thats the button u push when u want to reset ur milage next as ur holding down the button start ur car still holding the button after u crank it keep holdin it it will eventually say test in wierd little letters then ur gages will go nuts after that push the button to switch through all the options when u get to one thats at like 833 thats ur digi tac when u get to one thats 0000 thats ur mph the next is kph the next should be digi tach, have fun with it!!!!!!!!! i also painted my calipers today they look great!!!!!!!! and i shortened my antena lol i did it with a steak knife hahahahahaahahahahahahaha but hey it worked i also boiled some water and stuck the rubber peice in it slid it off and slid it on the new piece looks great!!!!!!!!!!!! next mods are gona be gettin my rims refinished black with the red line around the edge. im still haveing trouble uplaoding pics but i will get it eventually im runnin a mac but i dot think thats my problem

peace
knox

·
Registered
705 Posts
dannybohhy said:
the rear drum isn't worth it
I beg to differ. I did them as they were kind of rusty, more of an eyesore with my rims, but after cleaning and painting them black, they look sooo much better. Colored calipers are the way to go, but black for the drums. But if you're still running the stock wheels, it's probably not worth it, at least on the six spoke wheels.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
800 Posts
dude, that looks alot better, but have had all brand spankin new oem parts, my rear drums look nice

peace
knox

1 - 16 of 16 Posts