Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn it!
Out of all the vehicles I have ever owned, I have never had so many problems like I have had with this Focus. Every time I turn around, its something new.[:(!]

Anyhow, I was driving back home early this morning in the rain.
My wipers began to go from slow, to stopping right in the middle of the windshield.
It only happens when its on the delay setting. When I have it set to the fastest setting, they dont do it.

Watch the video, and tell me what you think:

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Most likely your wiper relay took a dirt nap. Cheap fix. You can get a new relay for about $10 at your local parts store.

There's a thread in the how-to section on replacing the relay.

I would try the cheaper relay before trying to replace the wiper motor.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Even stranger, in mine, the wipers stop where they're at unless the control arm is in an "on" position. So if I go temp but don't hold it down, they'll stop straight up until I move it and put them back down. Or if I have it on delay then turn it off mid-stroke, they'll stay where they're at. Is the wiper motor a fix for this, as well?

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
No, the wiper park feature (when you press the wash button for the 3 sweep pass or down on the stalk for a single pass) is disabled when the relay goes out.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
i have the same problem so i will have to look into getting that relay. i thought it was normal because it was that way ever since i got the car...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have the same problem so i will have to look into getting that relay. i thought it was normal because it was that way ever since i got the car...
Your had this problem even when the car was brand spanking new?

And the "Big 3" wonder why the Japanese vehicles have been selling far better in America for the past 10 years.

Everyone I know with a GM, Ford or Chrysler start having problems the day after they drive the new vehicle off the lot. Or at least within the first 40k.

All of the Japanese cars/trucks that I have owned and my friends own dont start having problems until well after 100k miles. Hell my Nissan Xterra has 250,000 miles on it and the only engine component I have had to replace was a timing belt. And that was at 160,000.

This is ridiculous.

Okay, I'll stop my ranting......
[rant]

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,786 Posts
Wait did the relay fix it or what? I have the exact same thing but its only if I'm going highway ish speeds

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Its almost always the relay ^^ very common problem on the focus. As said above, an easy fix.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow! I just signed up and, perhaps, already found an answer to my wiper issue on my Focus. It is the most annoying thing. I'll have to give this relay a try.

·
MOAR BEWST!!!!
1,528 Posts
Even stranger, in mine, the wipers stop where they're at unless the control arm is in an "on" position. So if I go temp but don't hold it down, they'll stop straight up until I move it and put them back down. Or if I have it on delay then turn it off mid-stroke, they'll stay where they're at. Is the wiper motor a fix for this, as well?
thats what mine does!!!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
84k miles, no mechanical problems [dunno] 05's do have worse mileage than later model Duratec Foci, and more wind noise than earlier body styles IMO.

At least I'll know what the wiper issue is when it happens in mine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Your had this problem even when the car was brand spanking new?

And the "Big 3" wonder why the Japanese vehicles have been selling far better in America for the past 10 years.

Everyone I know with a GM, Ford or Chrysler start having problems the day after they drive the new vehicle off the lot. Or at least within the first 40k.

All of the Japanese cars/trucks that I have owned and my friends own dont start having problems until well after 100k miles. Hell my Nissan Xterra has 250,000 miles on it and the only engine component I have had to replace was a timing belt. And that was at 160,000.

This is rediculous.

Okay, I'll stop my ranting......
[rant]
Sorry, but I must disagree, and I apologize for hijacking your thread, but I need to give you a little lesson in perspective.

With a website like this, a person more or less is ONLY going to hear and read about the bad things with THIS car (Ford Focus). You can't lump ALL Amercian cars into the same pool just because you're reading about a couple of problems of probably LESS than 1% of the ENTIRE Ford Focus population that were sold......WORLDWIDE, mind you.

Before you spout off about how POORLY American cars are built, how about Googling some of the forums for the Japanese/Korean/German/ automakers and read about some of the problems THOSE cars have before you go whining your biasad opinion HERE about American cars.

I am a mechanical claims adjuster for a HUGE aftermarket warranty company and can tell you FIRST hand that I see JUST as many claims relative on Volkswagons/Toyotas/BMW's and others, as I do on American cars.

Ricochet said:
Everyone I know with a GM, Ford or Chrysler start having problems the day after they drive the new vehicle off the lot. Or at least within the first 40k
BTW, how many people do you ACTUALLY know with a GM, Ford, Chrysler? 5, 10.....ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.....let's say you know 100 people who drive a GM, Ford, or Chrysler product.

Do you know how many hundreds of thousands of cars GM, Ford, Chrysler built last year, and the year before, and the year before that? Let's say you know 100 (which we all know you don't) who have/had problems.

Get my point?

Pretty silly now, isn't it?
[confused]

Side NoteThose relays are made in MEXICO. That's part of the problem right there. Maybe if Ford (and the other manufacturers) kept their operations where they belong, this wouldn't be an issue, but that's another topic for another time.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
im betting you were driving about 300 mph and you wipers couldnt keep up. lolx2 on the above. had it happen to me in my 04

1 - 17 of 17 Posts