Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm doing brisk accelerations from a stop *cough* my front wheels hop...and it is quite annoying. I've never had a FWD car that had wheel hop before--it isn't a good feeling. Anyone else have this problem? I can't stand it.

I'm getting a set of SVT Contour wheels, I hope that solves the wheel hop problem.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Well I don't think wheels will solve your problem and can also break motor mounts if you do it to much. Get some more power so you'll just spin or get better tires so instead of hoping, they hook up. Or be easy till you are past the point of wheel hop.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or you can slip the clutch instead of dumping it.
That's what I've found out--and I'm doing. Actually it seems to accelerate much better when you do slip it a bit. I think I've almost worked out its sweet spot and the optimum shift points--that is as much as I can do with no tach. [thumbd]

Oh and is it normal to "scratch" 3rd gear? [/sarcasm] [strongman] I was able to get some good wheelspin shifting into 3rd gear a couple of times. My SE-R and 240SX didn't even do that. [deviltail]

·
Registered
424 Posts
Be careful with wheel hop, it shreds drivetrains. I chirped the wheels going into third the day after I got my Cosworth Intake. Not having a tach does suck.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i never had a problum with wheel hop in mine. Now spinning the tires, that another story lol but NEVER had a problum with wheel hop.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I have tremendous wheel hop issues, when turning left especially. I have a hunch it could be dialed down with an appropriate tire pressure adjustment, but I havent had the time to tinker.

Previous owner did the rear engine mount for me, I wonder if it didn't get kind of mangled in the accident though... sheared the passenger side mount at the bolt hole, the engine rotated back an inch or so, the dogbone was kind of tweaked out... oh well, off topic.

Have the problem, but not the solution.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have wheel hop and its violent. But i'm about to get a poly mount and poly lower control arm bushings. Doing this will stiffin the drive train hopfully get rid of the wheel hop. I only have it when i'm cruising in first then nail it or when i dump the clutch at a low RPM.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah its probably the engine mounts, they are too soft. Your engine and trans are shaking around in the bay and not giving your wheels even power.

·
Registered
428 Posts
try engine mounts, stickier tires, and a lsd, then you should have nothing but grip

·
Registered
57 Posts
trust me i have drag radials and it makes it worst at the track. alot worst. stiffer mounts and bushings should do it, LSD I think is an exspensive upgrade but is helpful. installed one on my 88' shelbyz before I blew the motor up and it is alot better to launch with two feet rather than one foot

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A couple of questions...

1. Is there an LSD for the 2.0L Duratec?
2. Where's a good place to get the good engine mounts?

I didn't win the SVT Contour wheels+tires because someone snipped me just before the auction ended.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is an LSD for the 2005 MTX D20s. I believe both Quaife and Torsen have offerings actually. Check FocusSport, IIRC they carry the Quaife. Personally I feel that an LSD would be the best mod that you could do; I frequently leave one big black tire mark when accelerating out of turns. As I listen to the wheel spin I think about how much power I'm wasting.

Check this out, Sport Compact Car's install of 4.06:1 gear and LSD on a Focus.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0205scc_project_ford_focus_zx3_part_4/

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Its basically the same MTX-75 since 2000. The Quaife and Torsen will work just fine.

For the lower engine mount, you have 3 options: VF Engineering, Mac, and the Energy Suspension inserts.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its basically the same MTX-75 since 2000. The Quaife and Torsen will work just fine.

For the lower engine mount, you have 3 options: VF Engineering, Mac, and the Energy Suspension inserts.
Got any direct links? Or is everything on FocusSport or similar Focus aftermarket site?

·
Registered
57 Posts
focus sport has the mounts aswell as newedgeperformance.com and i have the 4.06 final drive gears installed inmy focus and i can feel the difference, i guess only cuz i drive it everyday.

·
Banned
180 Posts
yea I burned them up to 40mph yesterday (to my delighted surprise) and wheelhop the first 10-15 feet was rediculous. it's like an old truck jumping the rear end around a corner. I just knowwww bad things are happening when it hoppin'. does anybody make traction bars? because I dont think my drivtrain will last long with me driving... I've been know to enjoy a little smoke from time to time :)

'07 ZX3 S
900 miles

1 - 20 of 20 Posts