Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Focus SE with 71k miles.

Had a bad water pump replaced at a cost of $321.00 in July.

Now the alternator is bad and the cost to replace it with a rebuilt alternator is $355.00.

Called Ford to ask if they could do anything and they said "Nope". Asked the guy to check with a supervisor and the supervisor also said "Nope".

They recommend bringing it to a local dealer who will charge $100 diagnostic fee before Ford will consider "working with me in terms of customer service". Ford will not waive the $100 fee because they claim it's out of their hands.

I call bullshit. If Ford wanted to retain me as a customer for my next vehicle purchase they would waive the fee or cut a deal with the dealer. Besides, any idiot knows a bad alternator so the $100 fee if just an obscene profit in my opinion.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
I know this isn't what you want to hear but since you are out of the warranty period for these items there is not much they are required to do to help. (and why would they?) You'd likely get the same response from many if not all of the manufactures once you were out of the warranty period. With that said, I would avoid the local dealer and find a mechanic that won't charge you a 100$ diagnostic fee.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know Ford is "not required to" help. As for "why would they?" they answer is for Customer Relations purposes.

I have a local mechanic that I trust who quoted me $355.00 parts and labor. I left my request open-ended with Ford to see what they'd offer to do. If they'd offer to get me the new alternator at cost but still not waive the diag fee then I'd probably have declined anyway but at least I'd feel like they tried.

We had a 1995 Saturn SL1 that was out of warranty when oil leaked into the cooling system. Saturn, apropos of nothing offered to split the cost 50-50 and they gave us a loaner car gratis. That's my benchmark and Ford isn't up to snuff.

I've bought 3 new Fords and a 1-year-old (a nice 2011 Focus SES) from our local dealer and the trouble with the 2014 Focus has turned me off the brand. I am a long time Ford shareholder and I know they are profitable so they won't miss me, but at this point I'd feel like an idiot buying another new Ford.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
If you look at where the alternator is, I wouldn't be surprised of they let the coolant drain out all over the alternator from the thermostat housing... if that's how they approached the repair. Who knows. Anyway, the coolant may have sped up the degradation of the alternator is what I'm getting at.

71k miles? This is exactly where the extended warranty gamble would have at least partially paid off in your favor.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
We had a 1995 Saturn SL1 that was out of warranty when oil leaked into the cooling system. Saturn, apropos of nothing offered to split the cost 50-50 and they gave us a loaner car gratis. That's my benchmark and Ford isn't up to snuff.
Did you know that this was a common issue with many cars at the time? Some more than others, with many having issues while under warranty. The "Oil" was transmission fluid, did they split the cost for a new transmission?

When a service campaign is in place for a known issue, you are more likely to get a repair outside of normal warranty. Witness some of the extended warranties on many MkIII Focus models.

Most newer cars now avoid cooling transmission fluid with a loop through the radiator for this reason, including the Focus since new.

They recommend bringing it to a local dealer who will charge $100 diagnostic fee before Ford will consider "working with me in terms of customer service". Ford will not waive the $100 fee because they claim it's out of their hands.
Would you expect them to send you to an independent shop for repairs over one of their Dealers? Diagnostic fees are set by individual dealers, I've fought the fight to eliminate them for a warranty repair but you're on the losing side when it's NOT a case of a repair strictly under warranty. If they "work with you" at all on something known to be out of warranty it's a bonus, and you take your chances on it ending up cheaper overall. On the other hand, occasionally you might get lucky and get coverage for something you didn't even know was wrong - might even have a computer control at fault that IS covered.

any idiot knows a bad alternator
Really? Unless you see it smoking, and somehow know for sure that nothing else is involved, it doesn't seem so obvious.

How much do you know about the computer controlled alternators used on all Focus models since they were initially introduced? How many inputs/outputs involved to control them? Which versions use a fusible link in the output cable?

As mentioned in a prev. post, once out of warranty you can't expect "help" except in unusual circumstances. Lines have to be drawn somewhere.

If you want longer coverage, pick a vehicle with the coverage desired (some even cover all maint.) or add an extended service plan(s) that includes the coverage desired. Can't expect all other buyers to pick up the tab for extra coverage you desire as an individual.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I know Ford is "not required to" help. As for "why would they?" they answer is for Customer Relations purposes.

I have a local mechanic that I trust who quoted me $355.00 parts and labor. I left my request open-ended with Ford to see what they'd offer to do. If they'd offer to get me the new alternator at cost but still not waive the diag fee then I'd probably have declined anyway but at least I'd feel like they tried.

I've bought 3 new Fords and a 1-year-old (a nice 2011 Focus SES) from our local dealer and the trouble with the 2014 Focus has turned me off the brand. I am a long time Ford shareholder and I know they are profitable so they won't miss me, but at this point I'd feel like an idiot buying another new Ford.

lmfao that is a high bar right there

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
You bought a car with a finite and well defined drive-train warranty that unless an extended warranty was upcharged at the time of sale or even at a higher expense after had a known end mileage and date of expiration...

...and you're mad at Ford for not performing free service at nearly 200% of the allotted mileage? [scratch][scratch]

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
At my dealer the diagnostic fee is not charged if an issue is found. Only paid if there isn't a problem. They do this so people don't just bring in their vehicle to have it "checked" out. At least this has been my experience.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Skip the rebuilt unit and get a low mileage one from a junkyard. A quick search in just my area found many low mile ones as cheap as $35:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Find a local mechanic to put it on if you are not comfortable wit doing so, the rates will be much lower.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts