Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, its been a while for me to rear my ugly head, as I have just received my 05 Focus back from my son...a little worse for the wear. Seems it came back in dire need of many repairs, but I'll start with most noticeable, the vibration that the engine makes. Before he "borrowed" it, I had replaced the motor mount on the passenger side, that seemed to take care of it. He did tell me a few months after he was using it, its started again, but different. The recently installed mount was good. So I got to looking, and find there is another on the drivers side and one on the tranny, underneath.
Has anyone replaced these to cure the vibrations? How much of a job are these two to replace? I'd look on YouTube, my computer is so slow, I can't stream a video to save my butt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had terrible vibrations and the car was extremely loud. I replaced all three motor mounts in my 2007 SE (2.0 Duratech) in about an hour. Make sure you support the engine and transmission when doing the passenger side mount and the drivers side mount.

I got a kit that included all three mounts from Rockauto for ~$40.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm assuming, by installing all three, it took care of the vibration???
I seen that package deal at RA, on the three mounts, that's what I was thinking of getting.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I
Hello, its been a while for me to rear my ugly head, as I have just received my 05 Focus back from my son...a little worse for the wear. Seems it came back in dire need of many repairs, but I'll start with most noticeable, the vibration that the engine makes. Before he "borrowed" it, I had replaced the motor mount on the passenger side, that seemed to take care of it. He did tell me a few months after he was using it, its started again, but different. The recently installed mount was good. So I got to looking, and find there is another on the drivers side and one on the tranny, underneath.
Has anyone replaced these to cure the vibrations? How much of a job are these two to replace? I'd look on YouTube, my computer is so slow, I can't stream a video to save my butt.
I replaced all three of my motor mounts at once, it fixed it, smooth running. Before that, the car sounded loud, vibrating badly, so much so that the cd player was skipping. I thought my exhaust was bad even. I had a mechanic do mine at least $100 labor, but probably not to hard to do yourself with proper equipment, there are YouTube videos on how to do it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah...it fixed the vibration perfectly! I think only replacing the passenger side would’ve been adequate but I figured “why not”.

·
Registered
218 Posts
After reading numerous threads advising against aftermarket mounts, I've been looking to buy Ford OEM driver and passenger mounts, but there seems to be a shortage. Tried 3 places, all are out of it, and an online Ford dealer cancelled my order without notice.

·
Registered
770 Posts
After reading numerous threads advising against aftermarket mounts, I've been looking to buy Ford OEM driver and passenger mounts, but there seems to be a shortage. Tried 3 places, all are out of it, and an online Ford dealer cancelled my order without notice.
eBay is a great place to get parts.
Someone somewhere has one.

2005-2011 Ford Focus 2.0L Engine Motor Mount With Automatic Transmission OEM NEW 5S4Z-6038-CB Amazon.com: 2005-2011 Ford Focus 2.0L Engine Motor Mount With Automatic Transmission OEM NEW 5S4Z-6038-CB: Automotive

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Found another online Ford dealer. Shipping more, but overall order still cheaper than eBay.

EDIT: Posted too soon, got this email today: "The motor mount you ordered is on national back order and there is no ETA on when it will be released."

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found one on amazon, it was a three pack here, Robot Check
I thinkin it was close to $49.00, shipped to my place in NW Ohio.
Thanks for keeping me posted.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The OEM passenger side engine mount will outperform any aftermarket part by a long shot.
This has been discussed on this site a thousand times over. OEM or go home.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The OEM passenger side engine mount will outperform any aftermarket part by a long shot.

Yep. Cheap afternmarket seemsto lasts a year at most. Usually just a few months. I had the same issue with my 2000 Mazda Protege.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi sorry for jumping in like that but i have 1.6 focus mk3 with vibration i wanted to change the passenger side mount but i don't know if it's the probleme i touched the metal part connected to the body while the engine was at idl and it is not vibrating at all so i want to know if even as the mount itself is not vibrating it can still be the probleme or should i change the driver side or trans mount (i really don't want to change does since it look like they are not simple)

·
Registered
11 Posts

Exactly right!. Replacing the pass side , the noise was gone....for awhile! I figure 100,000 on factory, 2000 on replacement. Oh, and good luck with the Ford parts. Last time for me were made in Korea and in a genuine Motorcraft sealed wrapper.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi sorry for jumping in like that but i have 1.6 focus mk3 with vibration i wanted to change the passenger side mount but i don't know if it's the probleme i touched the metal part connected to the body while the engine was at idl and it is not vibrating at all so i want to know if even as the mount itself is not vibrating it can still be the probleme or should i change the driver side or trans mount (i really don't want to change does since it look like they are not simple)
Changing the passenger side motor mount is not a difficult job. Take a look at videos on YouTube and see for yourself. In a nutshell you basically lift the coolant overflow bottle up and over, support the engine from below, remove 5 bolts, replace the mount and replace the 5 bolts torquing them to spec.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Changing the passenger side motor mount is not a difficult job. Take a look at videos on YouTube and see for yourself. In a nutshell you basically lift the coolant overflow bottle up and over, support the engine from below, remove 5 bolts, replace the mount and replace the 5 bolts torquing them to spec.
i said the driver side the one hidden under the battery and filter

·
Registered
153 Posts
i said the driver side the one hidden under the battery and filter
Sorry, missed that as it is usually the upper mount for the most part. Here's a video queued for the lower trans mount. Remove the battery, remove the battery tray to expose the mount, support the transmission using a block of wood between the jack and the transmission, remove 5 bolts, remove mount and reverse to install. You can do this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry, missed that as it is usually the upper mount for the most part. Here's a video queued for the lower engine mount. Remove the battery, remove the battery tray to expose the mount, support the transmission using a block of wood between the jack and the transmission, remove 5 bolts, remove mount and reverse to install. You can do this.

thank you very much for your help i have the litlle red piston jack will it work and how can i see the oil pan becaus i have the plastic rapet under the engine will i need to remove it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts