Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve had an extremely bad vibration only when accelerating. It’s not so present at lower speeds, but I’m almost positive I can still slightly feel it. Also, It is not present while coasting, but as soon as I touch the gas it comes back, the harder I accelerate the worse it gets.
With it being only when I touch the gas I don’t see it being an alignment issue, what are your thoughts?
The motor mounts are both fairly new.

Any ideas on where I could start diagnosing?

Update:
After more diagnosis attempts I’ve found the same happens if cruising around 2500 rpm or above. Lower than that it only does it from a stop when taking off. It’s more of a strong shudder that causes vibration. Sounds like a helicopter in the car. But the steering wheel doesn’t really get affected. I can slightly feel it in the wheel but not too bad at all.

The car did get new mounts and were driven for 4-5 months like normal. Car sat for 2-3 months, then was driven after that when the problem started occurring.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
What mm's did you use? You'll want a Ford only psm as the aftermarket ones are cheap for a reason....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They’re both factory mounts. I’ve had problems with a mount going bad before and this vibration is much worse than what I experienced with that.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
The degree can be all over the map, no two fail in the same way.

Not mount if not doing it at idle in gear. Maybe wheel bearing or one of the axles, the pass side one anyway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After more diagnosis attempts I’ve found the same happens if cruising around 2500 rpm or above. Lower than that it only does it from a stop when taking off. It’s more of a strong shudder that causes vibration. Sounds like a helicopter in the car. But the steering wheel doesn’t really get affected. I can slightly feel it in the wheel but not too bad at all.

The car did get new mounts and were driven for 4-5 months like normal. Car sat for 2-3 months, then was driven after that when the problem started occurring.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve found one other post that describes this problem, but they stopped posting before telling if they fixed or not.

The shudder happens ONLY under load and as soon as I release the gas, goes away. Braking is normal.
I’ve replaced lower control arms, motor mounts, removed and inspected suspension components, alignment, tried other wheels, coolant/oil flush.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts