Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , I need help. I run the car allday then BAm it won't start!! Then I get a tow home and BAm it STARTS!!! 3 days ago it did the same thing then its fine for 3 days. It seems taht after I use the car for 4 hours (work) it gets hot than it won't start. After it sits for an hour it Starts. The battery terminal are tight and clean. All the wires look good. when I turn the key i get no engine noise or starter noise, and the lights and radio work fine!! Is the solenoid pooched? Is the battery done?? Anyone have any ideas????

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Assuming it at least clicks, the next time it screws up, try this: Get somebody to sit in the car and hold the key in the "start" position. You go under the front of the car and whack the starter with a hammer. (Of course, neutral or park with the e-brake on!)-- If it takes off, the problem is definately the starter. If not, we still don't know anything. Let us know what happens- we'll go from there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried hitting it with a hammer , no luck . I t seems to start cold fine its justwhen it gets hot . Could it be the solenoid? Battery? i am stumped. Why does it start fine then not , then start fine.....When I was under it hitting it i thought I could hear the solenoid clunking. Anyone?????

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Manual or automatic?

If its a manual you could try roll-starting it the next time it doesn't want to turn over, it works best if you have someone who can help you or the car's parked on an incline...get the car moving about 5 MPH, with it in gear and the key in the on position let the clutch out until it grabs and turns the engine over, it'll catch and you'll want to push the clutch back in again. This will prove if the starter is on its way out of if there's a problem with something else.

If its automatic, you're pretty much SOL on figuring out if its the starter using that method...do you hear the solenoid kicking when you try to start the car? You could always replace it and see if that fixes the problem, of course if it doesn't then you're stuck with a new starter that you don't really need.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
It's still not clear to me if there is any clicking to be heard when trying to start it. This is an important clue.

If there is no clicking, there's another possibility. Isn't there a safety switch on the clutch pedal which requires the clutch pedal be pressed down to start (I don't know, I have an automatic)? If so, I would check that as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is an auto so I can't push start.... i cannot here a click inside the car but when I was under it I heard a clicking evrytime the key was turned. i assume that was the solenoid plunger working. Has anyone ever seen this prob. before???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thing that keeps getting me is it seems to do this after it runs for 3-4 hours and it works fine when it isn't HOT, warm I don't know..

·
Registered
24 Posts
heat=resistance
A failing starter will act up more so when hot, you can go out an buy a starter and hope that thats the problem.
or any reasonable shop can do a starter draw test and tell you if the starter is failing.
good luck

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Agreed ^^^ It sounds like a bad starter to me. The clicking is telling you that the solenoid is working fine. If the battery is plaenty strong then I would suggest a new starter. If the battery is questionable, the next time it acts up, get a jump start ( jumper cables ) if the problem disappears with the jump, the battery may be the issue.

It does sound like the starter, they usually fail when hot at first, also, the hammer trick, you don't tap, you have to hit it fairly hard ( like driving a nail )

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. i am going tonight to figure this out. i went and bought a starter today. It has to be the starter but I will try testing the battery etc... update later.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i changed the starter last night. Mech. says very likely starter would be causing these symptoms. Then heat is the most likely culprit for not starting , i start the vehicle 40-50 times a day. We load tested the battery ,checked all the connections there , everything was fine. all fans were coming on as needed and coolant is fresh at -35. also i just fixed a coolant leak from the thermo. housing and it was running down to the starter. My guess is that that didn't help either. anyways put new one on and it even sounded better. Thanks for help. wish me luck as I am fresh out of tows.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts