Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
When I did my plugs awhile back, that's what they looked like ( I think even worse ). I can't believe my car even started. Mine didn't even have a skip or roughness. It ran better with new ones of course, but it wasn't anything significant. I wonder if the ECU compensates that much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If i remember my mechanics courses right :p cause i didn't see that very often in real life. This might be cause by too much heat in the combustion chamber and self ignition (pinging). It would probably help to use higher octane gas especially if you are modifying your focus( which i think i've read somewhere else on the forum). Maybe you should try "colder" spark plugs too.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
with only 1500 miles I know nothing that would do that except detonation.
(Changed story when found out below that the plugs only had 1,500 mi on them..)Jeez...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the quick replies guys...I heard somewhere about using the copper motorcraft ones and gapping them to .60....anyone know part #s for those? also a lil back ground...yes I have a fully built NA engine...recently upgraded to stage 3 comp cams and 42lb injectors that Tom is working with me to tune properly...these spark plugs have about 1500 miles or less... car drove, not good past 50mph but drove o.k at lower speeds with the plugs like that. this happened when i was trying to get some datalogging done for Tom...which brings me to another issue...only during dataloggin does my battery light go on and my gauges go nuts...

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
You can get the plugs from cfm for like $15 a set. Just gotta change them about every 15,000 miles but that only takes 10 minutes. Only 1500 miles on those. Definitely something to do with your mods. Obviously needs more datalogging to get everything to work properly so you don't keep destroying plugs.

·
FF Affiliate
31,180 Posts
positive juice , thats a new one to me

What happen was your running lean/to much /to little timing and your running it hard under WOT , to little timing , cam gears not adjusted properly ,engine running hot and WOT , many things will do that

Tom

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Problem #2 is Bosch plugs (by the looks of it).

Autolite or Motorcraft plugs only. They are the only plugs with the correct heat range.
Also when pushing more power you want to run a cooler plug, as in the Mot. Coppers.

I see the plug being the problem and not detonation or CC heat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts