Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get home from California this weekend, and go to get my daughter this morning. Car starts up fine, runs fine during warm up.

So I hop in, take off out of the driveway. From the drive I take a left onto my road, and notice a bit of throttle lag, almost like what happens when the fuel pump just cant grab enough... but Im going left, not right.. then i get power so I shrug and keep going.

Pulling up to the first intersection, I apply the brakes, start to let in on the clutch, car just feels wierd. After stopping I attempt to make yet another left, however I don't even get to turn the wheel and I notice that the motor just isnt going, disengage the clutch completely and give it gas, NOTHING.

So I watch as my RPMs dwindle to nothing, the motor cuts out, and my CEL comes on. First time in 2 years that Ive owned this car that the CEL has come on. WHAT THE F.

What could cause this? My initial thought, shut her down, restart. Reboots always work in my world. But that gained just a long scream from the starter. OOPS wont do that again.. for now.

Next thought, disconnect the ground, wait ten. Reconnect and start. Same scream from the starter. DAMNIT... what next

Well... Jump it, why not. let the batteries connect for a few, go to start.. and suprise something new! A SHORT scream from the starter. The only reason this one was short is because I was expecting it and let off on the key right away.

So my new thought is that the pump died, no fuel to the motor caused the slow rundown. Or a frozen filter, also causing the eventual dying of the motor.

I also noticed that my air filter at some point has gotten lost, no idea when, no idea how. Im pretty sure this can cause all sorts of really fun negative impacts on the motor.

At this point I am broke due to the holidays, a shot alternator, day care, etc etc and i hate my life.. whats the cost of a new motor???? if thats the worst?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Do you mean that you opened the hood and all you saw, was the Throttle Body and your Cold Air Intake was gone?

·
Registered
666 Posts
did you say you had NO air filter?????![popcorn]

·
Registered
784 Posts
may be something is in the intake, starved for air then died. try to replaced the fuel filter too. try the simple cheep stuff first. o and get that CEL checked

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
It may be something as simple as a dirty MAFS......caused by the missing air filter. You can buy special cleaner/spray at auto parts stores. It doesn't take much dirt to do it, and it still may look clean....

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
The "scream" from the starter motor sounds like what you get when it's spinning but not fully engaged to the flywheel. Can't imagine that's what caused the car to die, and it would be pretty weird to have two problems like that at exactly the same time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The starter cannot turn over a seized engine. If it was low on oil and run till it sezied up you could have this.
Ken

·
Registered
784 Posts
The starter cannot turn over a seized engine. If it was low on oil and run till it sezied up you could have this.
Ken
now that i think about it, when my step mother driver her Taurus into a "lake" and sized up the motor, it sounded like what your describing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Now that the other guys have said it I had the same experience happen to me on the freeway driving my GF's Corolla. It was running perfectly fine on the Freeway then all of a sudden it just shut off. When I tried to turn it back on it just made a whining noise that sounded like it was coming from the starter, but the engine did not even want to turn. The engine was done.

·
Registered
744 Posts
It does sound like fuel starvation except your references to the starter "screaming", is like a metal on metal sound or is it just the usual starter sound?

If it's your fuel filter, it may clear out a little as the fuel pressure drops in your fuel line and the crap in the line spreads out but that definitely won't last.

As for the air filter, did you go some place that wanted to replace your air filter and . . . didn't? I had that experience at my stealership, they insisted on "replacing" my cabin air filter, charged me for both the filter and the labor but when I checked it the next time around, it was absent, they yanked out the old one, found there wasn't a replacement and closed it up; but still charged me.

IF your engine isn't toast, then get a new filter and keep an eye on your oil consumption and consider getting a compression test. You can run a fair amount of junk through your engine before you really jack up your cylinder walls and rings.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its not metal on metal, just the starter noise. Im really worried about a blown motor.. IM Fd

okay after a second of breathing because this here thread had me crapping my pants. More info

The sound was the typical starter sound, and the motor really wanted to pull over, but she wouldnt. Oil was real clean and there was plenty. Only the filter at the end of my CAI was gone. Not that i had an open TB or that it was a short ram. its been real dry here lately, or snowing. no puddles for me to gulp from and no real leaves blowing around. if anything got in there its dust, which still sucks but it is what it is. I know ive had a bad pump for a while, and it should have been brought in for the recall. but i live in my car and couldnt get the time.. now i guess i have it as i dont have a choice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm glad I did not understand your post. Nobody needs a bad engine rite now LOL! Hopefully the FP will take care of your prob.
Ken

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
That sucks man :( If you can do the labor, Zetecs are dirt cheap online.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
even if i can find a dirt cheap one itll help my mechanic score me the lowest cost in replacing it

·
Registered
982 Posts
If I were you the first thing I would do is remove the CAI and look inside the pipes and into the TB and manifold. Small furry animals like to climb inside pipes during cold weather to keep warm.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Theres one on Craigslist for $395 with 84k miles I think Hartford CL was browsing for Focus parts today.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Why is the motor toast? What went wrong?

What I'm thinking is an engine that is running OK, but suddenly turns to toast, will run but sound horrible, or will be locked up, or will knock even when the starter is rolling it around, or something.

I'm uncomfortable with a perfectly good engine suddenly becomming scrap but it still sounds normal turning over. Did you do a compression check?

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
I'm still hoping to hear more news on this, to see if we can find out what went wrong or if the motor is indeed melbatoast

1 - 20 of 43 Posts