Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2003 Ford Focus with a 2004 2.3l Duratec engine that was recently hydro-locked. I cleared out the water and started it back up and drove it home without the air system connected (it was full of water), and it seemed to run just fine, aside from a little bit of hesitation that I figured I could attribute to the Maf being disconnected. I dumped out the water and dried it out and re-connected it, as well as changed out the oil and spark plugs. After startup, the car idle jumped around pretty bad whenever I let off the gas and died on me many times. I disconnected the Maf and everything was much better. So I bought a new Maf and the problems didn't get better. So I disconnected it, cleaned the connector and took off the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes. The car ran very nicely for about 2 hours. Now the problems are back. Whats going on???

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Ah man...
I just saw that, and moved your thread to the Technical Chat forums...

I swear you must have been deleting the post as I was moving it. LOL!
Either put the info back in this thread, or I will close it once I see your new thread.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Clean the MAF again, and check your TPS. (Throttle Position Sensor)
Your idle problems are pointing to a faulty TPS, and it could have gotten wet as well.

BTW, [welcome], though I wish it was under better circumstances.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would a faulty TPS cause the car to run bad with the Maf connected but fine with the Maf disconnected, though?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^I don't know the answer to that one.

As far as cleaning the new MAF, how well did you clean the interior of your intake?
There could have been something you missed that found it's way to the MAF.

Hopefully someone else will step in with an answer to your TPS question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't actually clean the intake... The airbox just below the MAF is still soaked, so I haven't re-installed it yet. The car has been driven for almost a year without that lower filter without issue, though. I know it's not a terrific idea to drive without it, but I also really don't think it would have anything to do with my problem. Is there any way to check the wiring to the MAF?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts