Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I came on this forum to see if anyone has my same problem and I can't seem to find my exact same issue. Anyway so my car rattles VERY loudly when it is stopped in Drive. It's almost like a very loud clicking sound coming from the engine. It disappears as soon as I accelerate, or switch to Park or any other gear. I recorded the sound in a video with my iPhone but not sure how to post that on here. All of the fluids are fine, the engine mounts are new, and I've had savy family members check it out, and there's nothing that anyone can see under the hood. The rattling was somewhat quiet up until 2 weeks ago, when I discovered one of the spark plugs was loose. I tightened it, and the problem almost went away. This weekend I then replaced all 4 spark plugs and the problem went away again. But 2 days later it started getting VERY loud again and it's getting worse. I don't think it is really related to the spark plugs, I think it's a coincidence, but can anybody help me? If you need me to email you the video of the sound then I will. Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi,
I came on this forum to see if anyone has my same problem and I can't seem to find my exact same issue. Anyway so my car rattles VERY loudly when it is stopped in Drive. It's almost like a very loud clicking sound coming from the engine. It disappears as soon as I accelerate, or switch to Park or any other gear. I recorded the sound in a video with my iPhone but not sure how to post that on here. All of the fluids are fine, the engine mounts are new, and I've had savy family members check it out, and there's nothing that anyone can see under the hood. The rattling was somewhat quiet up until 2 weeks ago, when I discovered one of the spark plugs was loose. I tightened it, and the problem almost went away. This weekend I then replaced all 4 spark plugs and the problem went away again. But 2 days later it started getting VERY loud again and it's getting worse. I don't think it is really related to the spark plugs, I think it's a coincidence, but can anybody help me? If you need me to email you the video of the sound then I will. Thanks!
If it is a tick tick tick sound it could be a valve seat or seats. I had this happen on my Durango after I blew the head gasket. I don't want to alarm you, but I would definately take it to a mechanic to diagnose it unless you feel confident working on it by yourself.

You can send me a sound bite if you have one, but please understand that sounds alone are very hard to diagnose. I'll PM you my email addy.

Usually the reason that it ticks or rattles is (as I understand it - Someone correct me if I'm wrong) because when the valve seat drops the piston can strike against it on the compression stroke. When you rev the engine the sound "goes away" because it get much faster and blends in with the engine noise. That's the way Dodge explained it to me and once I saw how the valves works it made perfect sense. I just went to howstuffworks,com and searched for Engine Compression.

Matt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts