Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a problem with power. here is is:

It runs smooth and nice all the way to redline. It never sputters, backfires or misses. There are NO codes. (I even used the snap-on scanner at work to make sure) However, its kinda slow. My SVT feels no faster then my dads 1.8L NON SER sentra, or a 127HP civic. I launched from 4000RPM today, and the car bogged down, and barely spun the tires.

Most small cars, even those less powerfull then the svt will "spin the tires," after a hard launch. (or at least one tire) Myn does not.

I have New Denso plugs, ford wires, Fuel filter and waynes tune. (so no T/C) My clutch is NOT slipping, in fact it is working perfect. It seems on cool nights my car performs much better, which I know is normal. But the diffrence is AMAZING. It makes no sense[8] All cars perform better with cooler, denser air...But it's like night and day!! (no pun intended) My DSI cable is good, and the runer opens and closes properly.

So what are the common problems with the SVT focus that can cause low power? Something that does not throw a code at that lol. I did a search and came up with the "DFPE." What is that? Looks easy to change but I dont know what it is. How do I test the fuel pump with no valve? I may just need to Lap scope the pattern, but I don't think its the problem.

Thanks for any help[:)]

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
clutch. mine was doing the same thing. will it catch 2nd gear (bark the tires into 2nd at a hard redline shift)? if not, and it sorta seems sluggish, ur clutch is dying.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My clutch isn't slipping, not chatter and is nice and quiet. BUT,you could be right. Ill test the TPS and MAF tommorw, make sure there in spec. My My clutch is original..90,000KM

·
Registered
511 Posts
I can chirp my tires in second on command after a hard 1-2 shift. All I have is copper plugs, FR wires, AEM SRI, VF rear mount , and oh yeah.....Tom's tune (God's gift to the SVTF). And that with the temps in the 90's.......

Defiinitely check the clutch. Something else you can try is drive in third or fourth gear at low revs. Then floor it. If the revs go up but you don't speed up then you have a winner......ding ding ding........

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried that and all is well. Its possible the previous owner put a clutch in, I just have no records of it. The car dies at those revs lol. Part of my problem I think.

·
Registered
511 Posts
What do mean dies??? Does it just stall while in gear at low revs or in just neutral???
I haven't had personal experience with the TPS, but it sounds like dying at low revs could be caused by a bad TPS.

Have you tried reverting it back to the stock tune and see if it still dies???

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I never "let it die" but a lower RPM's the car performs poorly, and it would die. Ill take your advise and change the TPS.

Im still concernd about my bad launches. At 4K, the car should take off better. I know its not a drag car..but still

·
Registered
210 Posts
If your TPS is bad, then even at 4k, once you put it under load, the car asumse max thotle position, 2k or so. So it's like leaving the line at 2k. It will bog, and slowly clime the RPMs to red line. Most time you can tell if this is happening if you put it in 2nd gear, and do a few test runs. Start at 2500rpms on all runs. Floor it, 3/4 thotle, 1/2 throtle, 1/4 throtle. It WOT, 3/4 throtle, and 1/2 throtle all feel about the same, then it's your TPS for sure. This is all assuming your fuel filter is good. at that milage, it deff should have been replanced!

·
Registered
78 Posts
^matthew: I was gonna say that your problems might be due to the elevation at your location, but "The city of Grande Prairie lies at an elevation of 669 m (2195 ft) above sea level" - so says wikipedia. You're in Alberta, right?

Anyway, air pressure is hugely dependent on elevation. Here in Colorado (>6000 ft.), I'm down THIRTY HORSEPOWER!!! due to the reduced pressure/thinner air. You're at 2195 feet, so you shouldn't be down very much.

And just so you know, my car is exhibiting EXACTLY the same symptoms yours is. My car is freaking slow, I can't chirp the tires ever, my car performs much better when it is cold...the list goes on. I thought my problems were due to the elevation...but maybe not.

Let us know how the TPS change turns out...best of luck.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm nearly at 6000 feet and while I'm not into smoking my tires, my car is performing extremely well. I've got Wayne's tune and, even running the AC, my car is quite peppy and pulls hard.

I usually launch (at least around town) at 2500 and moderate the clutch to keep the RPMs up.

I'm not into spinning the tires or even chirping between gears because, I'm not in that big of a hurry and the shock to the driveline.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
matthewsvt said:
My clutch isn't slipping, not chatter and is nice and quiet. BUT,you could be right. Ill test the TPS and MAF tommorw, make sure there in spec. My My clutch is original..90,000KM
idk man, i had my clutch replaced around 55,000 miles. (i did the conversion from KM to miles)

for somereason when the TPS messed up i could put it in 1st, and let out on the clutch, and it would pull itself w/o the gas it, and it would hit 2k rpms, and start pulloin hard. kinda scary./

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i changed the fuel filter the third day i owned it. I can't get a TPS till wednesday so Ill let you guys know

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
...Traction control equipped, will prevent chirpping the tires...kills the engine and puts the brakes on... is your DSI working properly?

·
Registered
511 Posts
^^^^ It doesn't turn it off under 25 mph............unless you have a TC kill switch (that also disables ABS) or a tune. You can launch at 7k and it will still bog.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts