Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '00 ZX3 - Zetec w/AT has recently started to idle badly. In the last couple of weeks I have seen the problem get worse in which it will slowly drop below 800 rpm at idle. It now gets so bad it sputters and stalls at stoplights if I don't try to feather the gas. It was in desperate need of an oil change, so I did so thinking that the oil filter was clogged. However, the problem continued. I have temporarily placed a spacer between the throttle arm and the resting screw--cheap but functional, keeping the idle at 1,100rpm. I suspect it would be the Idle Air Control valve, but where the hell is it located? Im a do it yourselfer--Dealer wants to look at it, but I know all to well how a $85 inspection can turn into a $500++ fiasco!! Can this be cleaned or do I need to replace it? I can order it locally for 195.00 and get it in about a week. Anyone else have a similar problem? Thanks [?|]

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the MAF and doing a tune-up? Did you check vacuum lines? Are you getting stumbling anywhere else in the powerband?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's about due for a tune up and all vacum lines look good. It would't be a bad idea to swap the MAF at the same time as the tune up. Apart from the idle problem, the car runs fine. Since the first post, I have noticed a small hiss coming from the back of the engine that I had not notice before. When the car is turned off you hear the hiss continue for like 1 second, so Im beging to wonder if I have an air leak from the base of the throttle body or something in the general vicinity.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
It's probably coming somewhere from the back of the intake manifold. You'll have 4 or 5 vacuum lines back there and one of them is the EGR line. That one has a tendency to break/crack right on the L bend. There have been quite a few of these issues lately so I'd check that first. Squeeze the line a few different ways and see if you notice an idle change. I'm betting that's the problem.

I wouldn't swap the MAF. Just clean it with some electronics cleaner.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SUCCESS!!! I found the problem--bad hose, thanks blanezx3. I found really good info in on the site......search for.... ZETEC Engine stumble - SOLVED--- described the problem EXACTLY !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts