Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Country Static
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while I was at work today, my brother decided to wash his new Mustang V-6 and my moms 08 Altima. Well in order to get the bugs off the front bumper, he chose to use a steel wool pad. Probably not his best idea IMO. There are some scratches in the clear coat, any way to buff these out?

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
Not smart...ummm...can you feel them with your fingernail? If so then you likely can't get 'em completely out.

Otherwise head to Target and get Meguire's Ultimate Compound and start with that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
wetsand with 3000 grit paper, then buff out with a polishing compound, followed by regular wax of your choice. It will come out. Fixed a friends jeep 2 weeks ago that did the exact same thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
holycow i never thought i'd read someone else doing this!!! my sister did this to our parent's pontiac bonneville back in the late 80s. she wasn't even able to drive, just trying to help. to this day she jokes about it.

definitely compound, Vittleking sounds spot on

good luck...btw, photos? perhaps before and after

·
Country Static
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I tried the compound today, and it didn't come out. You can just barely feel the scratches in the clear coat. Not sure if they went all the way through the clear but you can't really tell they're there unless your like a foot away lol.

Kinda worried about sanding it down more. Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
walmart sells the motor wheels. Buffer polishers.

We took out some really deep gouges on my sisters honda CRV.

Go on youtube and watch some of the videos. You should be able to get this out doing it the way they show you in the videos.

If you dont use a polisher its going to take alot of elbow grease.

do what Vittleking said, wet sand with the 3000 then the compound.

You might wind up doing the whole car though. Once you fix the area that was damaged the rest of the car wont look as good. lol least do the hood and front fenders, thats all i usualy focus on.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
steel wool? if my brother did that to my car he would be lucky to walk.

but anyways, wet sand it and start buffing like vittleking said is probably your best bet.

you will kill your arm buffing by hand.

or take the cars to a body shop and ask them to get them out and make your brother pay for his stupidity. if the clear coats still good probably cost you around $50-$100 (this is what i would do, but my brother an i never get along.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Steel wool actually works great on windows...I used to be a porter at a large ds in stl and we used steel wool on all the windows.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
My brothers car doesnt have a very thick finish and we took a few scratches out on his car. After we got all the haze out after wetsanding we would up doing the whole car because the area where the scratch was looked the best and then the rest of his car looked like crap. The spots we wet sanded and polished still look better then the rest of the car but it does look better then it did before we started.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts