Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate my city for this....
first tank of gas for 42 litres (11 gallon) got me 407.5 kilometres (253 mi).
I'm hoping that this will get better with age and breaking in the car a bit.
that 23mpg for you yanks...lol jk.
seriously though wtf.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
It most certainly will. My first tank showed me 22.6, 2nd tank was ~31 with about 200mi highway, subsequent tanks with primarily city driving have been ~27mpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im using super duper gas too....grrr. at least for the extra 4 dollars it cost extra a tank, im getting 2 dollars off.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I bought the car one week ago.
When I first got in it, there were 5 miles on it. I bought it with 44 miles on it.
Because it had sat and idled a lot in those first five miles, the MPG listed average of 12 MPG.
The 60 mile freeway and highway drive home from the dealer raised the MPG to 33mpg. Ireset all the MPG when I filled up with gas at 250mi.
Soon I was back at 30mpg.
With driving in the city I have dropped to 28 average, and freeway it goes u a bit to 32mpg.
400mi so far total milage on car.
Mobil One has a new formulation for improving mileage, in a 0w20 formula. i plan on using it.
One thing i am getting annoyed with is the shift arrow. It does NOT take into account any road features. It cannot know the road is starting to be a steep hill. I wish i could just turn it off.
And then downshift. Clearly the Focus is not happy under 1,500 rpm..
I may put a sticky dot over the upshift arrow!!!
Then, why didn't they allow a big digital speed in that little window 'tween the tach and speedo. That would be the MOST USEFUL FEATURE!

·
Registered
113 Posts
One thing i am getting annoyed with is the shift arrow. It does NOT take into account any road features. It cannot know the road is starting to be a steep hill. I wish i could just turn it off.
It does take into account throttle position. I noticed that the more I press the gas pedal, the longer it takes for the upshift arrow to show. Normally, on flat level ground, and when accelerating gently, upshift arrow will light up earlier such that the next gear will put me around 1400 rpm. There's enough torque at 1400 to pull the car when accelerating gently on flat level ground.

With my Focus, the problem with the upshift arrow when going uphill is that you really have to rev the engine past the upshift arrow point to compensate for the speed loss during shifting or else the next gear will be lugging.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I bought the car one week ago.
When I first got in it, there were 5 miles on it. I bought it with 44 miles on it.
Because it had sat and idled a lot in those first five miles, the MPG listed average of 12 MPG.
The 60 mile freeway and highway drive home from the dealer raised the MPG to 33mpg. Ireset all the MPG when I filled up with gas at 250mi.
Soon I was back at 30mpg.
With driving in the city I have dropped to 28 average, and freeway it goes u a bit to 32mpg.
400mi so far total milage on car.
Mobil One has a new formulation for improving mileage, in a 0w20 formula. i plan on using it.
And then downshift. Clearly the Focus is not happy under 1,500 rpm..
I may put a sticky dot over the upshift arrow!!!
Then, why didn't they allow a big digital speed in that little window 'tween the tach and speedo. That would be the MOST USEFUL FEATURE!
You get shift arrows? That's actually pretty cool. Digital speedo would be pretty neat as well. Also... not many cars are happy under 1500rpm...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine is slowly improving as well
Started out at 9.2l/100km 25.6 mpg on my first tank, now readout is saying 8.9l/100km 26.4 mpg. Hope it keeps increasing. When I first got the car it read about 14.5l/100km 16.2 mpg!

Problem is I mostly drive city w the rare highway jaunt.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, I've got the shift arrows as well, if you've the start stop system, you can set it to display when it is time to change gear, not sure if this is on the powershift though. I've managed to get an average of 34mpg around town on my first drive, so I expect it to get better. Note our uk gallons are slightly smaller than the US ones: 1 Imperial gallon = 1.20095042 US gallons, thus I'd be getting the equivalent, if my dodgy maths are correct, 40.8mpg. Good engine the 1.6 ecoboost...
Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have been able to get much better than what i listed, taking a drive to moms (10k = 3 lights) on a road that has almost no lights and traffic gets my kpl higher but it only takes one drive to my wifes work (2km = 3 lights , traffic, construction and 15 min) to get the kpl down again.....grrrr

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
A full month after aquisition: I really notice stoplights are the gas mileage killers.
I can watch the MPG meter falling as i sit at some long stoplights. I have taken to shutting the engine off if i pull up to a known 'long' light (where left turners get a separate light period, both ways)
Shutting the engine off makes sense then.
But if it is a normal light, or i get to it partway through, i stay running.
Whatever, the stop light is the giant mpg killer. if everyone understood this, i bet way more lights would be made syncho so fewer stops..
(just think if a few lights every single person used were better timed, the USA could save millions of gallons of gas a year. And many times over again if freeways did not get clogged to a standstill!)

Accelerating up a freeway ramp fast does not do much damage vs a long slow (painful) ramp up to freeway speed.
My best mileage so far is driving in fifth gear (manual tranny) between 30mph and up to 50 mph.
over 50mph seems to drop mpg a little. Rain seems to drop mpg a little.

Added: with only a few stoplights and long open runs in the city i average 32mpg.. 34mpg. in areas with a lot of stoplights and none synch lights drops to 28 or so. bigger streets 35mph, 40 mph with few lights i am up around 38mpg.. no stops right up to 42mpg below 50mph. If i am lucky and not many stoplights i can keep it at 40mpg in city.. even at 30mph..EVERYTHING for mpg in the city depends on the stops... (a few 'horror' areas in town i now avoid like the plague because of the endless stopping. (construction mostly, rush hour..)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i took a different route to work a few times to avoid traffic and lights, even though it is a slightly longer trip, i get to work faster and my average went from 9.5 to 10.8km per litre.
working night shifts as well i can take my normal route and see an increase in distance per litre.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Traffic lights... Grrr.
Never realized what a gas waster they are until i got the Focus.
If I am stuck driving in stoplight rich areas, my milage tanks.. [bigcry]
If I can go on streets with few stoplights, i am very happy.
And freeway is pretty good too if I stay at 50mph or so.
IfI could find a zero stop 40 mph street.. i would be well over 40mpg...
I have changed where i drive to find streets that are better! or even freeways. The difference of 30 mpg to 40 mpg makes a little longer travel time trip no problem if it has fewer stops.
I am pumped about getting 40+ mpg and every time i am headed back home and am turning into my driveway and still have 40+ mpg on my meter i am HAPPY HAPPY!! [wiggle] [woot] [headbang]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
hello how do u know if a car has shift arrows is it only on stick shift cars, i have focus se with auto trans
Yeah, shift arrows are for manual transmission cars. i have a manual tranny in my ride. The shift arrow appears in the window above the tach/speedo gauge cluster. The upshift AND downshift arrows are on the left side lower of the screen.

Mine lights upshift around 2,000 rpm when light pressure on gas, and with a heavy foot it can come on around 2,800rpm. And the eco award also can be won for doing a great job shifting at the best RPMs. and for shifting well. I have had ONE downshift light so far. At firsti hated the light, but now i can notice it without looking down at it. and i do not mind it anymore.

I pretty much watch the mpg display constantly.. [popcorn] LOL! i want to keep it over 40mpg all the time. i feel good if it is over 40mpg and bad if it is in the lower 30's.
The automatics have the "sport mode' button (at least on the higher models) I believe, which gives a little more RPM before the automatic upshift.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
wait why are you using premium? are you? thers no advantage unless your tuned for it!
Well that is a debatable question.
So far the fists have been flying, as is usual in useless debates like: is Premium better...
I have to say i have been using premium gas so far. But i do not actually KNOW if it makes any difference or not.
So as far as i know, it is all just in ones' head as whether premium actually makes any difference.
More folks will have to do some serious work on logging the results over a specified course. Like commuters.
I do not drive the same places, so i would find it hard to be a tester... or I would do it too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts