Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this problem for a about a month and it happens like 40% percent of the time, basically when I start the car the revs go back and forth (or on and off) with alot of jerky vibration for like 10-20 cycles, its like the car is stalling like its trying to breathe or sometin, I dunno what the exact term for this kind of thing is but thats the way best way I can describe it

I've cleaned the maf and the tb and and even applied Seafoam treatment but its still doing it, I have to keep giving it a lot of gas for it to finally stop revving up and down and then it becomes smooth and normal and i can start driving

Like i said this only happens when I start the car and happens about 40-50% of the time, and it seems to happen mostly when I start the car after a long time, i.e. when I start the car the next day when I go to work,

any ideas guys? thanks for the help

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ask does it overheat? or is it low on water? cause if it is the thermostat can be bad causing your electronic choke to act eratically which will make your idle go up and down ive seen it a thousand times. Just throwin it out there. Also you said how it only does it 40% of the time so note how cold it is when it acts up because depending on outside temps warmer temps will cause the choke to act less on the engine colder temps will make cause the choke to have more influence on the engine so check your thermostat and coolant levels message me back when you find out what it is[hihi] ps it might be but i dont think its a vac leak or an o2 sensor because it would be constant problem rather than a random one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have the same problem with my SHO. does it EVERY time i start it the next day. eratic idling, cant breath, etc etc

crank sensor! i replaced the tps an that didnt do anything i just dont have the money to replace the crank sensor at the moment. well, at least thats what my instructor at uti said(crank sensor), retired ford master tech. makes sense, but id go with 1turbofocus, get a diagnostic or a scan tool just to be sure

quick auestion, does your CE light flicker an can you hear the fuel pump makes noises like it keeps turniing off then back on? if it is, could be fuel pump switch, replay, fuse or whatever. dont know the exac term for that...but its lacking of supplying the engine with fuel which could cause this problem we both are having

but hey, im a newbie student at uti just tryin to help one another out. dont harp on me if im incorrect. haha just giving my 00.02 cents

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to twiztedzx3:
nah it doesnt really overheat and I dont think its low on water last time i checked but I'll have to recheck, and it started doin this before the weather got cold but yea now it does it mostly when its real cold like in the mornings

to poweredbyford:
umm as far as i can tell the light doesnt flicker and i cant really hear the fuel pump making any noises like that ... i'm gonna try to get a diagnostic scan soon so i'll try to update this as soon as i get an answer,

·
Registered
122 Posts
k this is an idea i don't want to get into the argument about a pcv valve but mine was doing the same thing yours is check the pcv hose under neth your intake manifold going around the engine and it connects to a metal rode that goes accross the left side ( if looking at driver view) if you look behind the engine its the only 1/2 inch hose you will see check the corners on that hose if they feel kinda weak that might be your problem that was my problem and now it works fine. cause if the corners are weak and the pcv valve opens it might be squeezing the hose together and causing your problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
u mean that hose circled in the middle? this is a pretty old pic but i have that hose connected going from the engine to my volant airbox and its in pretty good condition

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
check the hose that goes to the PCV valve..... if I remember correctly, on some foci it collapses and obviously causes some issues...

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
that hose you're talking about is the crankcase breather hose......whether it goes to the PCV or not, I'm not sure. my knowledge doesn't go that far, lol.

edit: wait, yeah I know..... it's supposed to pull in filtered air into the engine....ok that's what I'm not sure about, but I do know it connects to the air box.....and if you don't have one, you should get a breather filter to put on the valve cover (well, put it on the valve cover that has the opening for the hose, as a replacement)

·
Registered
122 Posts
no its the one behind the engine thats the crack case one just go and look at your throttle body then look direclty below it on the back of the engine it will be the only 1/2 inch hose you will see, if your standing in front of your engine the hose will start at the back of the engine, it will bend right go across towards the right side of the engine bay then when it reaches the end of the engine it it will go into a metal pipe that crosses below your thermostat houseing then it comes back out the front then takes a left towards the exhaust manifold and goes into the pcv valve check that entire line ill take a picture of it tonight and show you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts