Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have an 01 zx3 and it died wednesday on my way home form work. timing belt head gasket and intake blew apart. has anyone ever seen an intake do this? she has 167000 miles not sure if i should fix it any advise.

·
Registered
505 Posts
How did you blow all that at the same time? If the timing belt goes, there is NO damage to the engine, simply replace the belt/tensioners.

What is telling you the head gasket and intake is bad? Chances are, they're not!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you blow all that at the same time? If the timing belt goes, there is NO damage to the engine, simply replace the belt/tensioners.

What is telling you the head gasket and intake is bad? Chances are, they're not!
well the intake is in two peices so it's defenitly done and the head gasket i have low compression between #2 and #3 its needed that for about 2 years burns oil and coolant a bit so i let it go because i didnt have money or time to fix that before.

·
Registered
505 Posts
well the intake is in two peices so it's defenitly done and the head gasket i have low compression between #2 and #3 its needed that for about 2 years burns oil and coolant a bit so i let it go because i didnt have money or time to fix that before.
My advice to you would be to get a scrapyard engine since they're a dime a dozen. Zetec engines are usually tough! Coolant mixing in the oil and in the combustion chamber is why I'd replace the engine. God knows what condition the rod bearings are in.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup, run a "broke" one too long and eventually it goes "BANG"....

Back fart when things let loose is probably what took out the intake manifold as well....

As long as it's "junk', you can tear it down & see what's salvageable if you have the time & tools, otherwise the first suggestion offered is probably the best bet...

Luck!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
WOO HOOO!!! Exploding intake manifold- I haven't seen that in a while. Lucky you- right? Yeah that's how it goes with timing belt breaking sometimes, gasoline can do it. Repairing your engine will run you a fair chunk of change, nearly the cost of a junkyard engine. On the other hand, if you do get a junk engine, you'll likely want to install a timing belt shortly after installing the engine. I'd go ahead and run it to be sure that the yard isn't ripping you off- most have a 30 day warranty to be sure it runs.

If you wanted to repair yours, we can direct you to some places to get good parts, but before you do that you should start disassembling the engine, and pull the cylinder head at least. Then you can inspect the damage and see if it's worth repairing. With a long standing oil burning situation that was never resolved while the engine is running- you might be better off spending even a little more for a junkyard engine if you can replace it yourself. If you're having someone else repair the vehicle- it's 10 years old, it blew up, you might be better off just getting another vehicle. The cost to have someone else install a salvage engine or do a head gasket job is going to be $1500+. You might as well purchase another POS for $1500. DIY on the other hand- get that head off and see what's up before doing anything else.

·
Registered
505 Posts
they are pretty cheap, yes. I think they average around $300?
Seriously, they're so cheap the blown up one you shouldn't even bother with it. And while its out of the engine, replace the timing belt (provided you have air tools or an engine stand--you can rent the latter im sure) so this doesn't happen to you again.

I love these cars, so easy to work on!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts