Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I recently had m battery go bad on my 2012 SE with 56k miles. I was wondering If i should be concerned about something wrong with the electricals of the car that could be harming my battery life since its only a 2-1/2 year old battery and they normally last for 7-8 years as far as I've heard. I have not touched anything on the car electronically and do not have and subs or aftermarket audio or lighting equipment. I drive about 50 miles a day and do mostly city driving. Any help or insight into the problem would be appreciated.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Hey guys I recently had m battery go bad on my 2012 SE with 56k miles. I was wondering If i should be concerned about something wrong with the electricals of the car that could be harming my battery life since its only a 2-1/2 year old battery and they normally last for 7-8 years as far as I've heard. I have not touched anything on the car electronically and do not have and subs or aftermarket audio or lighting equipment. I drive about 50 miles a day and do mostly city driving. Any help or insight into the problem would be appreciated.
I have owned dozens of cars and I have never had a battery last 8 years. I have never even heard of one lasting that long.

2 1/2 years may be a little short lived but I would not be alarmed. I have had them fail in less than 2 years.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Batteries are a wearable item but they have a pro-rated warranty. Contact your dealer and let them know. You will have to pay only part of the cost for a new battery.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have owned dozens of cars and I have never had a battery last 8 years. I have never even heard of one lasting that long.
The original battery in my previous car lasted me until I traded it in for my Focus (9 years and 185k km/115k miles, spending most of its life outside and surviving many Ontario winters), and it was still doing fine on battery tests. I agree that it was a bit of an anomaly, though.

4-5 years strikes me as typical. Maybe the Texas heat helps kill batteries even faster?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went through no less than three batteries in my previous car, a Grand Am GT that I owned for 11 years. My wife's '09 Jetta had its battery fail after four years. 3-4 years strikes me as fairly normal.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hey guys I recently had m battery go bad on my 2012 SE with 56k miles. I was wondering If i should be concerned about something wrong with the electricals of the car that could be harming my battery life since its only a 2-1/2 year old battery and they normally last for 7-8 years as far as I've heard.
Hey there Theblueoval,

I recommend making an appointment with your Ford Dealer. You may locate one here. If you have questions, I'm here to answer them.

Todd

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I already went to the Ford dealer and purchased a new one. apparently since I'm over 36k miles the battery is not covered under any warranty so i had to purchase a new one which was $126. They tried to charge me an additional $100 for install. I laughed told them to just sell me it and changed the battery on their lot in less than 10 minutes. Luckily I keep my wrench set with me at all times. [wrenchin]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
My Contour SVT I owned for 13 years and only needed a new battery once. I think at about 7 years.
Batteries, being electrochemical/mechanically constructed devices can have hidden flaws which can dramatically shorten lifespan. One cell alone may break and then the whole battery is toast. So that is why the lifespan is all over the place.
Generally yes a seven year lifespan if nothing internally breaks. Shorter if a plate breaks, or a connector internally inside, then the whole thing is junk.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

2 1/2 years may be a little short lived but I would not be alarmed. I have had them fail in less than 2 years.
My 1999 F150's battery lasted almost 7 years. A few months shy of 7 years from build date.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was able to get around 7 years out of a battery in a Taurus. It didn't even fail on me, just replaced it before it did as the mechanic said it's "cold cranking amps" rating was well low of spec and it would need to be replaced.

Better than getting stranded someplace. It was a MotorCraft battery btw.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine died last month after 3 years and 45,000 miles.
I thought it might have lasted longer, but it had blown a seal and was leaking.

Anyway, it turns out that the Ford Motorcraft battery through the dealer is about $30 cheaper around here than what I paid at Advance Auto Parts.
($110 vs $140).

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
It's highly unlikely that there would be a problem with the charging system without an indicator on the instrument panel. This is because the charging system is intelligent (it is controlled by the BCM).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts