Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm approaching the end of week #5 of owning this car.

So far, it's spent more weekends in the shop than my driveway, and is currently still in the shop for the P0420. (I still think that the dealer messed up dropping the transmission for the clutch replacement.)

Anyway, not that I've spent that much time driving it, but there are some things that have been bugging me, and I'd like to get to.

The backup camera is super hazy. At first I thought that it was just a dirty lens, but after cleaning it, it's still hazy. I didn't see anything on the backup camera here, but I figure that I'll give it a shot with some polish, and an anti-fog treatment. I think that I have a headlight restore kit around somewhere that has polish and an anti-condensation coating. Anyone know of any gotchas when working around the camera?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Okay, here's a slightly more technical question, if anyone has an answer.

edit:
The car is a 2012 Titanium HB with the Ford Mytouch 8" display
/edit

Is is possible to tap into the backup camera for my dashcam? I can input a composite signal into the dashcam, if I can tap into it.

I know that some of these cameras are not meant for high duty cycle, I had a backup camera kit before which had a sepcific warning not to use it for dashcam usage, as being always on would damage the camera. (Crappy design, then, IMO.)

I actually used that camera in the left hand mirror assembly of a right-hand drive JDM car, and it comes on with the left signal light to show oncoming traffic when making left turns. I put a small corrective lens in to protect it from the elements and to narrow the wide viewing angle. The monitor could flip the image so that it wasn't mirrored.

Anyway, my dash camera came with a rear view camera, and a trigger wire so that it could be used as a backup camera, but I'd rather not mount a second camera if it isn't necessary. I do want to record the rear camera, as there are far too many nutty drivers around here.

·
Registered
187 Posts
if not mistaken, to put a oem cam in all you need is the cam and wire harness... the harness is like $30? the cam is like 200, but a quick run to the local pick-n-pull should be much cheaper. then just set in bcm/ipc that the car has a a rear cam

starting to dig this PNP style of newer fords

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the OEM cam already, the lens is pretty hazy, so it needs a good cleaning, maybe a polish, but it's already there.

It'd be nice if I could use it for the dash camera, as in a complete non-OEM application, if I can tap into a usable signal from it. It occurs to me that it may only be turned on when the car is in reverse (Would make sense, really) and may do things like take over the screen if I turn it on with the dash camera. I'm sure that I could do things to not let the system know that it's turned on, but I do worry about duty cycle.

I'll probably end up installing the rear camera that came with the dash cam along the top of the rear window at the top of the wiper arc. if I do that I won't need the weatherproof casing, so I'll probably fabricate a new housing for it, maybe use my 3D printer. It won't be as useful as a backup camera that way, but since I have the factory one, that's probably okay.

My camera also has a battery-backed feature where it will come on based on an internal shock sensor, so it could catch someone hitting the car while it's parked. The higher vantage point might be more useful for that.

Well, so far, it's not like I've been driving the car anyway. Of (to date) 40 days of owning this Focus, I've spent 24 days driving either a rental or a service loaner. Currently driving a rental, since my car has been at the dealership service department for the past week.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is is possible to tap into the backup camera for my dashcam? I can input a composite signal into the dashcam, if I can tap into it.
The 10.4" tesla-style ebay screens have a separate harness that leads from the back-up cam factory harness to the head unit itself so I would assume that you can tap into them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
When I pulled apart my APIM the backup camera just plugged into the back of the unit. I can't remember at this point if it was USB or composite. You'll have to pull your APIM out and take a look.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At this point, I'm not sure, but I think that this car just hates me.

Yesterday (Yes, on April 1, go figure.) the backup camera stopped working at all.

So maybe something just got pulled loose, or a connector failed, but I've had the car back from the dealer for 4 days, I think. Pretty sure that I'll do the front-end diagnostics on this, unless this comes under the extended warranty on the APIM, in which case... WTF, Ford?

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So at this point, I guess I have to diagnose the reverse camera. I can think of a few possibilities:

1. The connection to the APIM is loose. If this is the case, then I have to pull the APIM and check that all connections are secure and tight. This shouldn't be too bad, and the fix is pretty much the same as checking it.

2. The connection at the camera is loose. Maybe I closed the liftgate too hard or something.

3. The wiring at the liftgate hinge has failed from repeated stress of opening/closing.

4. The camera itself is fubar.

2-4 all involve taking all of the trim off of the liftgate, with 3 maybe requiring pulling down a part of the headliner.

I wonder if I should inquire if this is/might be part of what gets covered with the APIM warranty extension from 12M02

Just once, I'd like to be able to get through a tank of gas without this car needing to be in the shop. So far, I've brought it back to the dealership more often than I've brought it to the gas pumps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
IIRC all the wire harness are under the trim not the head liner, check my posts I posted a cad drawing of the harnesses and the part numbers

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I'd seen those, but wasn't sure where that actually referenced with respect tot he cabin trim, as opposed to the hatch.

Well, this morning, the camera worked, then when I got to work, it didn't, so it seems to be an intermittent failure. This means that if I take it to the dealer, it'll probably work perfectly until I leave, because that's how it is with intermittent failures.

Overall, this is more annoying than a serious failure, but I do worry about rearward visibility. That back window is small, far from the driver's seat, and high, which makes it difficult to see what's back there. The camera was helpful for peace of mind. Well, I still have the sensors which are happy to beep at me to let me know that I'm too close to something that they can/will detect. It works fine for parallel parking. (I have not yet tried the park assist, I'm not sure how much I trust it.)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I have a much easier time reversing than I did when the camera worked, but the transmission didn't. Still, it's a feature that the car should have, that I just paid for, and while I can certainly look around, having it not work puts me in a bad mood every time I get into the car, plus it's still safer having the camera working than not.

In true intermittent problem fashion though, when I pulled everything apart to check stuff, it worked. Then when I put everything back together, it didn't. I guess I'll just leave the trim panels off.

Of course this raises the possibility that the problem is somehow in the trim panels. Maybe a clip pinches something somewhere in a way that it shouldn't, or presses on a wire harness. I guess I'll have to look through everything. What a royal pain in the patootie.

So more troubleshooting. Next is to take the dashboard apart, and check all the connections to the APIM.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, so I had all the trim off of the hatch, and no luck with finding any kind of wiring fault.

I still haven't pulled everything up front at the APIM, so the jury is still out if it's a "simple" fix of something in the wiring.

I did get the rear camera for the dashcam installed. I just ran the cable from the dashcam to the back along the edge of the headliner on the passenger side. easy enough to tuck under the edges at the front, under the edges of the A and B pillar trim/airbags and along the tops of the door seals under the headliner. back over the C pillar trim and to the wiring harness to the hatch.

FWIW, I did have to pull the headliner down a little to get to that, and the wiring harness there, but I didn't have to pull it down much.

I installed my dashcam to the trim piece at the top of the hatch, so that it peeks out just below the top of the arc where the rear wiper cleans the glass. the dashcam also has a feature where if you connect a wire to the positive wire for the reverse light, it can act as a backup camera, though with it mounted at the top of the window like that, it isn't the best backup camera. I did connect it though. I tapped into the green/brown wire at the rear light harness, which I determined to be correct. Since it works as expected, I guess I was right. :)

I still want the backup camera working. I don't think that the camera itself has failed. I suspect that it is a wiring/connection issue. I hope that it isn't a problem internal to the APIM. I don't believe that it's directly related to the display, since that works properly for the entertainment/navigation system, and shows the "camera unavailable" message.

I did get a close look at the lens, and it's scratched up quite a bit, so I believe that this explains the poor image quality on the display. I expect that a good cleaning and polish will take care of the problem, assuming that I can get it working.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If the camera has/is failing, shouldn't it log somene sort of code, and I think all the modules have self test functions you can do in forscan (mobile and PC)

·
Registered
413 Posts
I don't think that the camera itself has failed.p.
Having the luxury of trying another known working camera would be beneficial as a troubleshooting tool to truly rule out your existing camera.

Not sure how you could accomplish this. Do you know someone else with a Focus hatch?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, I don't see getting another known good camera to try as a viable troubleshooting strategy in this case, though I've given consideration to replacing the camera anyway, if I can't clear up the issue with the clouded lens. (Again, not vital, but it's something that bugs me)

With the one on my dashcam, I'd also give consideration to just telling the BCM or APIM to just shut the camera off, so that I don't have to see the annoying message to contact the dealership every time I put the car in reverse.

I hadn't even considered looking for trouble codes. I'm not used to the level of integration that this car has, so my default troubleshooting is the old-fashioned kind. Well, I'll take a peek with Forscan lite. I haven't purchased the extended license for Windows. I have to replace my laptop at some point, then maybe I'll purchase it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, that was uninformative. I don't remember what the code was, but it translated as "General electrical failure" which I'll take as a wiring fault. It is the APIM that's reporting it , so the problem is almost certainly between the APIM and the camera, which was what I already suspected.

Well, the next step will be to pull the APIM out and check the connectors on it.

I kind of wonder if the dealership tech did something when he replaced my TCM. If that's the case, then the dealership is not who I want to fix this, or who knows what I'll be chasing down next. (It COULD all be coincidence, of course, and I just got the car that had 5 different things about to fail within 6 weeks of each other.)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is it? I'm used to all the computers being behind the dashboard, so I figured that this would be, too. Obviously I haven't looked yet.

Still hoping that this is an obvious wiring issue, but it'll be a few days before I have time to do the rest of the diagnosis.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts