Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 02' SVT hatch with An ORP, AEM long ram, Borla center exit exhaust and Tom' custom tune. Problem I'm having is when I start the car it runs great, after about 45 seconds or so, it acts like it's loading up. If I'm rolling down the road, it back fires a few times, getting louder each time. And do I mean Loud!!!! Otherwise, it runs fine all day and all night. Any help or advice would be great here. I thought it might be my o2 sensors or that pcv hose assy and pcv valve, but not sure. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
its normal. you have an orp so your gona be hearing that back fire.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Did you just get the car? It will always pop. Some people like it. And I'm guessing it happens when you slow down or occasionally shifting gears. I think we have a thread on here somwhere. Do a search.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
What the heck is an ORP?
Thanks!
(Charter member of the IHA assoc.) :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
ORP Off Road Pipe. Yeah the popping noise happens when the engine is leaned out after acceleration, but what do you mean by loading up? does it have a wierd idle or something?

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The popping is only prevalent right after startup.....as a matter of fact it also does it right before it dies on me. Last night my check engine light came on as well. I'm gonna run the predator and see what the code is. This started after the ORP installation. If it isn't the O2 sensors, then I'll probably swap the cat back in to see what happens then. Last night, I also noticed a surging in the car before the engine light came on. I'll keep you up to date on this. I did do some searching and came up with a lot of good info, but nothing that points with a flashing neon sign.....lol.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced the upstream O2 sensor and that seems to have solved the problem.....so far.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also found out this evening that the ORP is cracked, right along the mandrel bend. The crack is around 9" long. I bought it in Feb of this year, bummer it didn't last. I noticed it was really thin metal anyway. Maybe the combination of the two caused all my issues.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
JUst saw this thread. Major backfires are almost always air being let in like that. Get that ORP fixxed or replaced, put some new spark plugs in it, and you should be fine.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was an ORP from C-F-M. I didn't know they only lasted 7 months. Thanks for the advice though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts