Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, when I'm being good and trying to squeeze the miles out of that precious fluid we call gasoline I keep my car between 2 and 3k on the tach. Which means I upshift at 3k and I downshift at 2k. I noticed today that when I was just under 30 mph and at 2k in 3rd I downshifted to 2nd, jumping up to about 2.8k and heard a quick little "blub, blub, blub, blub".
I tried doing this at the same RPMs between different gears. I also tried getting up to 3k in 2nd and then letting off but it doesn't do it then. It only does it when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.

Is this characteristic of the SVT? Is it bad for it (the engine or the exhaust system)? Do I need to get it fixed?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
It's certainly characteristic of mine! I kinda like it, it's not something people expect to hear coming from a Ford Focus.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kind of like the sound too. I just hadn't noticed it before today, and half the time I listen to the stereo - the other half I drive with the windows down b/c I like the sound of the pipe. As much as I like it, if it's bad for my baby, I want to get it fixed.

SVT4ME does yours only do it between 3rd and 2nd?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I don't think it's bad, I think it's normal. Mine does do this mostly on a 3-2 downshift that's a "coasting" downshift, in other words one that's not to increase speed but to decrease speed. And yes, before anyone points out that it's much easier to replace brakes than clutches, I know this is not a good thing to do a lot of. I think it does the little bup-abup-bup other times, too, I just can't remember. And I can't take it out for a spin to test this, because the bleepin' garage door broke off one of it's hinges, trapping my car in the garage!! Must be karma - for getting it on with Blk the other day. [paranoid]

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, I'm not going to worry about it too much then.

my SVT to your garage door> "Set my people free!"

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
its not bad at all, and when you romp on it and shift...you may hear it quick, usually then is excess fuel being dumped...people say to worry, i say f that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts