Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
[rofl] and if you did it yourself, it would be done by now. Was kinda the point of making this thread, ya know?
I plan on doing it myself once I get the templates. I do appreciate your input though, ya know.

Speaking of...if you guys are going to do buy/sell, please try using a PM instead of junking up this thread with jibba-jabba. People dont want to sort through your chat to get answers/ideas.
A PM to me would have served the very point you just tryed to make. More uncecessary chat to sort through.

SquillyB - I actually thought about using some sound deadening materials, but passed on it. I do hear a bit more from the hatch area, maybe I will look into grabbing up that stuff in the future. Nice work.
Let's see if "Kyle" can respond to my question this time.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sorry guys, I had to go out of town on short notice, the templates will go out TODAY, I can't apologize enough for it taking so long, the last few weeks of my life have absolutely insane, I had a 2 month art show starting and the guy that was supposed to work there quit on me, but the templates will be in the mail by noon today

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is a cool idea - but i frequently take people places in my back seat - grrr
I would like to build a seat replacement that weighed in around 10lbs or less. Would I be likely to catch flack on inspection day? Seat-belts would still be functional...and I would probably be using fiberglass or something to make the seat lightweight and durable.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would recommend just popping out the bottom of the back seat, the back will lay down flat after you remove that, and you can always screw it back in if you need it, it would only take 2 minutes to take in and out, and you could have a totally flat hatch area

·
Machinery Technician
7,321 Posts
chiming in here...
i'd been wanting to take out my back seats for a while now. while i was at it, i took out my sub boxes (2 12'' enclosed double coils), and amps/ capacitor, spare tire/jack, and trunk carpeting. i went for a quick drive, then i put the spare and jack back... anyways, i did it this weekend and noticed a couple of things. first of all, i never realized how much weight all this stuff was and how noticeable it would be while driving. the car likes the weight reduction. i noticed that steering felt more neutral under hard cornering and it was a lot easier to throw the rear end out with lift induced snap oversteer, especially on wet asphalt. the other thing i noticed is that i can hear my exhaust screaming in my ear, probably because of the stripped interior and all the bare metal back there. i'm sure it would quiet down if i made a back seat delete, though i don't plan on making one.. then again, i have a ridiculously loud exhaust.

so in conclusion, i like it. i might put the seats back eventually, but i'll keep it like this for a while. i like how the car feels more nimble...
anybody else notice these things i mentioned?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would recommend just popping out the bottom of the back seat, the back will lay down flat after you remove that, and you can always screw it back in if you need it, it would only take 2 minutes to take in and out, and you could have a totally flat hatch area
I should have bought a ZX3 I guess...but I like the 2.3L and I couldn't find a 2.3L ZX3 when I bought my car.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
yes, it def makes lil bit of a difference in how the car drives and a lil bit more exhaust noise. You can line it with some insulation and deaden the sound if ya like.

My reasons for removing the back seat were that beyond the fact that you can only really fit 3 people in my hatch (cause I am 6'6" and no one sits behind me), I snowboard a LOT in the winter and it was a pain to fold my seats down all the time. I also wanted some weight reduction...so mission accomplished. I love being able to throw open the hatch and chuck my gear in the back. I also love not driving everyone @ work, to lunch.

·
Machinery Technician
7,321 Posts
yeah i knew the focus had a comfortable back seat and spacious trunk, but it's a freaking cave without the back seats..

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
This works the same for the sedan too. I did this with mine. If you take out the bottom part of the back seat, the back part folds down completely flat, and even with the rest of the trunk area. The only thing that the hatches have as an advantage is that they can remove their hatch cover, and have a completely open area, while with a sedan, the part above the trunk is still there. I can still fit a ton of stuff into my sedan with this setup though.[thumb]

·
Registered
122 Posts
thats a good idea but would that really lighten up the ride that much?... i guess its a good idea if ya just want to have your seats fold down flush...

·
Registered
399 Posts
^^^ nah, it would only drop about 7-8 lbs, but it is nice having a ton of room in the back, I have a true BSD and love it, I can fit a ton of stuff back there, and I sell oil paintings for a living, so being able to fit a 36"x48" painting back there is a huge advantage

·
Registered
122 Posts
not to get off topic er anything but how is that treating you, selling your art i mean... do you paint them or are you a dealer?

·
Registered
399 Posts
No, unfortunately, I don't paint them, I have about 500-600 artists all over the world that I work with, I do hand pick every painting, which is cool, I get to travel overseas a lot, I love what I do, but it gets tiring sometimes, I work 7 days a week most of the time, actually, it's been over 2 months since I've had a day off because of various art shows we have running for the holidays, I only have about 900 paintings on my site right now, but you can check it out if you want, gallerydirectoilpaintings.com I have 1400 more paintings going on the site in January, if you see something you like, let me know, I'll hook it up

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hmmmm... how about chopping the bench down to 1/3rd and doing a 1/2 BSD! Leave the seatbelt and everything and just have your trunk extend to the back of your seat?

And you guys all know that you -can- bring your seatbacks completely flat to the floor without removing the benches, right...? Just grab between the belt holders and pull the bench forward and down into the backseat footwells... then drop the tops of the seatbacks into the spot.

It seems to be uncommon knowledge... there's even "how to's" for it on FH... but they were designed that way.

·
Registered
399 Posts
yeah, but for the "cargo mode", you can't have your front seats back very far, I tried for a little while, but it was a PITA

·
Registered
122 Posts
yeah thats crazy... when doyou ever have timw for FF ?? sounds likeyour work owns you... but i guess there are some positives like travel

·
Machinery Technician
7,321 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
yeah thats crazy... when doyou ever have timw for FF ?? sounds likeyour work owns you... but i guess there are some positives like travel
Ha Ha, yeah, I don't own my company, it owns me, I do love what I do, but a day off every now and then would be nice

and, I make time for FF and my car, it's pretty much my only hobby right now, and the only thing that keeps me sane

·
Banned
43 Posts
So I completely romoved backseats about a week ago and was wondering how to do this, Im glad I stumbled upon this post. The concern I have also regaurds weight. How hard do any of you think it would be to do this with some ABS plastic and where could I find a sheet larg enough for a full size delete?

41 - 60 of 102 Posts