Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Cooper Zeons that came on my used 2013 SE hatchback had some feathering on the inside tread of a couple of tires due to a bad alignment (the car had been a rental previous to me buying it). They still had good tread left on them, but I could feel the car shaking at highway speeds, and the tires were very noisy, even with the windows rolled up and the radio on. Replacements were definitely in order. Yesterday I called all the tire dealers locally to try and get some decent tires at a decent price, and after many calls I found a deal on four Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval AS ultra high performance all season tires. The deal was $10 over invoice on the tires, reduced labor cost, and half price four wheel alignment. The tires have a decent rating on Tire Rack (I checked on my iPhone at the tire store before I committed to buying them), and hopefully they will live up to the ratings. The car drives like it should again.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Call me a skeptic, I think there might be more going on here. I had the same thing happen to my tires, would you mind posting the before and after results of your alignment?

I'll also send a PM to fuel my paranoia.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I don't have a printout to post. The technician at the tire shop who performed the alignment (not a Ford dealer) told me the right front toe in was quite a bit out of alignment, and the left toe in was just a bit off. That makes sense as the two tires that were the problem exhibited the classic wear pattern caused by incorrect toe in. I was standing outside of the service bay while the alignment was being performed, and I saw the technician making the adjustments on the tie rods.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And how the car drives for now?
I couldn't ask for a better outcome: the vibration is totally gone, and the tires are a whole lot quieter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts