Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some after-washing detailing yesterday on my SE Sport.

I noticed that the B-pillar on the rear passenger-side had a small scuff-mark on it. I used my chamois to remove it, and it just got worse. Now it looks terrible. I tried using Mother's Plastic Polish to remove it (after browsing some other forums) but it didn't remove the scuffs. The B-pillars are nice and shiny though!

Are the B-pillars tinted? Anyone else have experience removing similar scuffs? I don't want to make it worse, which the Mother's product did not.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
take it to Ford, say you didn't notice it until you cleaned it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Polish will remove it if it's just in the clear. Presuming you don't have a random orbital, if not it may be a good reason to get one. Most B pillars (black/cleared) show scratches fairly easily. the trick is getting an aggressive enough polish, still waiting for my Ti to be delivered some in not sure how hard the clear is on these cars.

Just know that with a RA is damn near impossible to burn through paint. If your not the DIY type any detailer should be able to remove (again if not through the clear) in about five minutes.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
These pillars are horrible for showing scratches and swirls. The Ford dealer I work at will get brand new cars with literally 5 kilometers on the odometers, and the pillars are already full of swirls. It's really annoying.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
We need a clear coat cover for those pillars, and for the painted handles.
Some aftermarket company should make a kit for them. They do have those 'kevlar' or wood kits.. We need a clear one!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
One product which will help if one has small swirls or fine marks on the black part of the B pillars and C pillars (hatch)
Meguairs Scratch X will work really well to remove fine marks and scratches.
I have been trying really hard NOT to handle the black B pillar to close the door.
Hard habit to break!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was wondering if these black pillars can be treated like painted surfaces in terms of care/repair (e.g., wax, polish, etc.). From reading this thread it appears so (use of Scratch X, etc.). I have small scratches and am thinking of using Meguiars Gold Class Liquid wax on them.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
At work we lightly polish them (by hand usually) and that really helps to reduce the marks.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
I'll one-up this. I had to scuff the pillars in order to install my wind deflectors. A couple of weeks later they broke and I had to remove them. Now I have matching 1"x.25" scuffs on all 4 b-pillar covers.[facepalm]

I only have one solution in mind-Di Noc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Twenty: Thanks you for sharing your experience. Can you recommend a polish to use for this purpose? What do you think of my idea of waxing - not abrasive enough?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put carbon fiber vinyl on mine, so I don't really have to worry about that. Never really seen many scratches before I put the vinyl on, so hopefully they will still be good when I take the vinyl off one day.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Twenty: Thanks you for sharing your experience. Can you recommend a polish to use for this purpose? What do you think of my idea of waxing - not abrasive enough?
I'd recommend the polish we use, but unfortunately off-hand I don't know what its name is. So that's helpful. [facepalm]

These things seem to be so soft that they scratch when you look at them, so while wax is better than nothing for protection, I don't see it as being a long-term solution. I'd polish first and then probably wrap them in a clear vinyl or something.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A regular wax may hide the scuff temporarily, a good cleaner wax may get rid of some of it, but only a polish will remove. I know theres tons of off the shelf stuff that may work ok. Personally, I use Menzerna P203 and P085, but you need an orbital buffer for those, and you can only find them online. Even then, the polish will only remove the raised bits (which is all you really see anyway). To fully remove, I'd take it to a pro detailer.

Another option is to glaze (hides swirls, scuffs, etc.) Then apply a sealant and wax. That should last 3-6 months before they show up again.

The first thing I did when I got my car was to clay, seal, and wax those bits. I know they will be a nightmare to keep up with!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I swirled mine with a brand new microfibre sponge during its first wash.
Needless to say, I was disappointed but not surprised.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ditto here. I've been pretty meticulous about my washing methods, my paint looks great, but these pillars man they are swirled to hell.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sheepskin wash mitt for washing and microfiber towels for drying.
Chamois both synthetic and natural are not good for the paint finish. They are abrasive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts