Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My driver's side cv is shot but I'm replacing both so I'm not doing this twice. I'm renting a couple tools and have a couple questions after talking with the parts guy.

Can you remove both axles at the same time on the getrag transmission? I was warned some transmission differentials shift slightly when you remove both axles, preventing the insertion of the new axles. Sounded like an issue to realign things.

Also can you poke out the driver's side axle after removing the passenger side axle like on the mtx75?

I'm eager to hear from you guy! Thanks for any input.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
How can you be on both sides of the car at the same time???????????

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read the "how to" on replacing the cv axles for the mtx75 and he used a rod and sledge hammer to knock the driver's side axle after removing the passenger side. The retainer clips on our axles apparently make it hard to remove from the transmission. I'm hoping that method would work on the getrag as well. I know I can't be on both sides but it would be great to save some frustration and time to follow that "how to".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the tread:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266098#/forumsite/20515/topics/266098

Somewhere in the middle he says this:
After using these 2 tools to not avail- I purchased the 1/4" round stock I mentioned earlier, and hammered the driver side axle out after removing the passenger side axle.

Since we have different transmission I just want to see if the same procedure can be used. I'm probably asking about a non issue but I don't want to create a big mess for myself either. Hopefully someone can chime in with some knowledge or point me in the right direction. I appreciate any info!

·
Registered
372 Posts
You can have both removed at the same time. As in take the passenger side out then the driver side, don't think he was asking if it was possible to remove them "at the same time from both sides." There is no way for the differential to move. I've became a expect at removal of SV shafts and taking the differential plate out of the getrag. It's easy nothing to sweat. Remember to buy new axle seals also. I wouldn't recommend trying to knock it out from the other side...... I'm not sure what the differential looks like on a MTX75 but the open differential has less than a 1/8 pin hole in it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! So far I have purchased axles, axle seals and the motorcraft synthetic manual transmission fluid(expensive fluid).

Don't think I'll be pushing the axle out through an 1/8 inch hole. I'm glad there is no preload in the diff to worry about.

Does a typical cv axle hammer puller tool work for you or do you have another method. I'm renting one of these when I replace the axles.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000O...&dpID=21oI60wvRAL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

Previous cars I've worked on the axles came out easily but seems the axles are hard to remove on the focus from what I've read on here.

·
Registered
372 Posts
They're not "hard", I just used a pry bar/crowbar. TBH it comes out easy enough. Regarding to oil, that you're call. I use the same engine oil in my trans. Tom does the same thing, we've never had issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts