Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after many delays, I was back in the garage tonight working on the focus. While finishing up the front end, I ripped the cv boot on the front drivers side axle. I realy didnt play around with it long enough to figure it out. I know the cv joint will need replacement now to get the new boot on. It crossed my mind just to swap out the axle with a junk yard special and then later repair the other one and use it as spare.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I need to go take back my Hanes manual from my friend to do this I suppose. I already have the knuckles, brakes and strut out because of all the upgrades im doing to it. I just need to remove it from the transaxle.

By the way, I just want to complain that the Focus Central front control arms could have been designed a little better. They require the use of the old inner sleeve bushing to be pressed off. I think they should have just made that particular tube on the arms the same O.D. and the poly bushings I.D. This would have saved a great deal of time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey Jason,

I think you can go to AUTOZONE or such since they re-manufacture axles, but they gonna need your stockers as a core. I'm not certain about this. My friend did this on his Accord, but I don't know whether they also have them for our cars.
IMO, I would go this route if ever they have them since it is alot easier and cleaner work. It probably cost you anywhere from 55 to 70 dollars per axle with your core.

-Brian

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
They do make split CV repair boots (2 halves are glued together) for your exact problem.
However, they're more of a temporary fix rather than a permanent one.

I'd think most parts stores would carry them.

Oh...Moved to ”Ford Focus Technical Chat”

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I ended up looking into the split cv boot. They dont make it for the focus mtx-75. Any way, the boot was $14 and the cv joint was $50 and the entire nex axle was $61 with an $80 core. I just ended up taking my axle out first and buying the rebuilt axle.

I just thought I would post this for those guys and gals that run into the same problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts