Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know we all have them; those local roads that put a smile on your face and get you feeling juuuust right. Whether they have great scenery, awesome curves or just something out of the ordinary, there is something about them that makes you want to drive them over and over again.

These are some Awesome Roads in the Mid Atlantic Region.
Post up your finds including: location, reasons its awesome and any pics if you have them [8D]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

12/09/2008
Waggoners Gap Rd. (Rt. 74), North of Carlisle, PA

If you are looking for an unbeatable view of the Cumberland Valley, take a drive north of Carlisle on Rt. 74. As you leave the city limits and cross under the Turnpike you are presented with several miles of gently rolling roadway with a posted 55 limit. Little traffic makes this a great jaunt in itself. But across the expanse of farm fields you see the ever present ridge looming ahead of you. Once you pass Enola Rd. (Rt. 944) you begin a slow climb through the trees that quickly becomes a very steep grade. The trip up the mountain is 2.3 miles from the base at Rt. 944 (which is around 400 ft. elevation), and the sign at the weather station on the ridge reads 1486 feet. Which means that you climb over 1000 feet in that short drive. Nearly the exact thing can be said for the northern side of the mountain; from the ridge back down to level ground at 400 feet is 2.2 miles.

Traveling north on 74 nets you some sights such as a 'Falling Rocks' sign buried in rocks and a 'High Fog Area' sign as you reach the weather station. But in my opinion, once you've made if over the first time you need to turn around and do it again. When you crest the ridge traveling south, you are presented with an expansive panorama of the whole Cumberland Valley. There is even a small spot to pull over at the weather station to get a better view.

But you're all saying, Slippy... the scenery sounds great... but what about the road? Well, if the up-and-over 1000+ foot rise in elevation wasn't enough for ya, how about 7 nice turns... 4 of which are hairpin switchbacks [driving]. And for a mountain road in PA... the surface was amazing! I plan to go back and grab some photos for you all, but right now you'll have to deal with the Google map image.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
74 isn't bad for scenery, good call. Actually pa 944 between 74 and 233 isn't bad either (A little bumpy in spots, but decent scenery, and a section or 2 w/ some decent twisty's.) Most of the ones I know are kinda short trips, but also McClure's Gap Rd from 944 to 641 (country scenery, and a few nice, tight turns), Creek Rd along the conodoguinet creek between N Middleton Twp, and Newville, PA ( Country scenery, little traffic, and a few nice tight turns). I know a few more, but the cool sections on those are pretty short. There's even one I know of that looks like the scary parts of WV, lol.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scenic Bypass, Rt. 97, West of Port Jervis, NY
This area is locally known as 'Hawks Nest' and they film car commercials here. Might not look like much from the aerial shots, but this is a tightly packed cluster of 10 or so quick curves etched into the mountainside overlooking the Delaware River and the PA/ NY Border. There are no shoulders.... just a rock facade to one side and a small cobblestone retaining wall to the other.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Not sure if Atlanta is (Mid Atlantic) But theres a few nice ones down here. My Traffic alternate route is 15 miles of curves up and down gradiants ending in a hairpin downhill right hander then about miles later theres a Cliff side downhill hard left (40' drop if you miss into a creek) then right into a 90 degree Righty over a narrow bridge. Awesome fun to ride. I get to take it 2-3 times a week.

Out by my aunt-in-laws theres a 20 mile one lane road with one stop sign in the boonies very hilly area no sholder just trees. Fun run unfortunatly I dont get to do that but once a year : (

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I'm gonna make this a STICKY[thumb] for a while.

·
Registered
0 Posts
[:)][:)][:)][:)] Yeah!

Been there done that [thumb]

And hell yeah on that one, I remember Dick and I cooking our brakes up pretty well on the way down, truly an awesome road [thumb]

Did that one on the way back from FocusFest in the rain, that was an adventure to say the least [thumb]

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
501N Lynchburg, VA to Buena Vista, VA

Great Road that snakes with the James River. It's only about 10 miles long. No Cops.....Little Traffic.

Great Views.... When you get tired of it... The Blue Ridge Parkway is less than 3 minutes away.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Skyline Drive - Shenandoah National Park (not a bad slow cruiser)

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Niiice thread idea......i'll be trying some out with the harness ON [thumb]

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Duh, I forgot the very local OLD ROUTE 55. I can't do a Yahoo map link cause it takes me down the new FAIL route 55. I also have a video of that too.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a must to!

Old Fields Road NW (Route 2) into Lahmansville, WV. The roads are kind of rough but it's really pretty up there.

Smoke Hole Road outside of Smoke Hole Caverns near Cabins, WV. It's also a bit rough towards the end but also VERY pretty and it's popular with the motorcycle cruising crowd.

Trough Road starts in Hardy County and goes into Hampshire County. Runs along the South Branch of the Potomac River and railroad. Parts of it are rough also but it's also a beautiful place for a drive.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Skyline Dr which winds through the Chestnut Ridge mountains in West PA is a wonderful road.
You can also stop off at Fort. Necessity where George Washington fought one of his first battles during the Indian wars.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
PA 125 from Shamoken South. When 125 turns left in Hegins, leave 125 and stay straight to go thru Good Springs, Joliet, and on to Ravine.

The scenery is varied and beautyful, especially in the fall. It's a favorate of sport bikers, who used to ride en-masse first sunday of every month, under the watchful and extremely lenient eyes of the state cops in their helicopter. I've heard the cops have clamped down now, so I don't know how popular it still is with the bikers.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
A section of Route 40 the exit after Rocky Gap State Park in Maryland all the way to around Hancock, MD.

Savage River Road outside of Luke, MD is fun but not in the winter. LOL. It runs along the Savage River.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Can't believe that this thread doesn't have more posts.

You people need to get out and drive more[race]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts