Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've got an '05 ZX4 with over 100,000 miles on the OEM brakes...but I have gone thru 3 rear wheel bearings.
Aftermarket wheel bearings are shit. Otherwise something else might be wrong. Like warped Drum causing uneven wear. I'm going to replace my passanger side front for the 3rd time soon as I fix the flex pipe. It only makes a little noise but I've replaced the entire front at this point so I was QUITE so I can isolate any rear issues.

·
Registered
15,579 Posts
Quit buying the cheap $25 wheel bearings and use the better more expensive aftermarket ones at around $50. Zero bearing issues after that if you hit the proper torque on the nut.

I change an aftermarket bearing and forget about it, they run for years, in fact haven't torn one up yet (if it was the expensive one). The only one that ever did was a $25 O'Reilly house bearing that went out instantly, yanking it to take apart revealed it was dry as a bone, they never greased it at all.

What they do with the cheaper bearings beside give you crap heat treats on the balls, they lower the grease amount to make the part shell out quicker, it does not last.

Another effect of 'lifetime warranty' they won't tell you about, that when they say lifetime, it actually means you can get the part forever, NOT that it lasts forever. The parts actually dropped in quality with that warranty.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Quit buying the cheap $25 wheel bearings and use the better more expensive aftermarket ones at around $50. Zero bearing issues after that if you hit the proper torque on the nut.

I change an aftermarket bearing and forget about it, they run for years, in fact haven't torn one up yet (if it was the expensive one). The only one that ever did was a $25 O'Reilly house bearing that went out instantly, yanking it to take apart revealed it was dry as a bone, they never greased it at all.

What they do with the cheaper bearings beside give you crap heat treats on the balls, they lower the grease amount to make the part shell out quicker, it does not last.

Another effect of 'lifetime warranty' they won't tell you about, that when they say lifetime, it actually means you can get the part forever, NOT that it lasts forever. The parts actually dropped in quality with that warranty.
This^^^x110%. I really don't get what some ppl want to cheap out & then bitch & moan about yadda part vs a using a quality part to begin with & not having to deal w/ any comebacks or redo's. Lifetime warranty= marketing ppl at work same as the bright colorful boxes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ford rotors and pads are junk. I usually try to see how high I can keep my average gas mileage. I typically try to brake as little and lightly as possible. I'll coast up to red light and try to time them so I don't have to stop. Braking is just taking the gas you burned and uses it to heating up the rotors. I managed to only get about 45K out of a set of pads and rotors. The rotors would start to show serious grooving after 10K and there was no way I would reuse them, junk. We had a 100K maintenance contract which I was told covered everything but tires so I was stuck getting the brakes done at the dealer. Much to my surprise rotors were not covered, lying salesman. I put on Centric premium 120 series rotors and posi-quiet semi metallic pads on at just under a 100K because that was cheaper than just rotors at the dealer. Centric rotors still look like new at about 10K.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Quality of brake pads is not determined by life. The brake pads equipped on my Fiesta ST are fantastic they will not last long, and they produce tremendous dust but the performance is phenomenal especially for the price. I've done many many brake jobs.
I also have a performance mindset.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
My complaint with the stock Focus brake pads on my SE is what they did to my rotors. The pads should not gouge the living s#!t out of a rotor in 10K. 45K is not bad for a set of pads but rotors should be able to last through at least one pad change.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts