Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my rotors replaced twice in 60K 2014 w/Sport Pkg.Mostly highway miles and I am light on the brakes.I have averaged about 90K on my other vehicles.What are you guys getting? Are the Sport Package rotors the same as the standard version?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
That'd really depend on what pads your running, where you live & your commute. Mostly hiway very well could be bumper to bumper. Very light on the brakes could very well mean that you ride the brakes down a long hill or long stop distances.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That'd really depend on what pads your running, where you live & your commute. Mostly hiway very well could be bumper to bumper. Very light on the brakes could very well mean that you ride the brakes down a long hill or long stop distances.
Ugh,.No.
To Repeat.All my other vehicles I have averaged much higher mileage on rotors.
So what we know,...
Same driver,same roads,same conditions,..NOT same results.Much lower on the Focus.Wondering what OTHER OWNERS are experiencing to compare.
Is it the rotors they are sourcing AND is the Sport Package any different rotor-wise than the standard brake set up?...

·
Registered
990 Posts
Sports package is appearance only. What is happening to your rotors? I hope you're not putting new rotors on while using old pads.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sports package is appearance only. What is happening to your rotors? I hope you're not putting new rotors on while using old pads.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using FF Mobile
I stand corrected,"Handling Package" Up-rated suspension and wheels but apparently no change to brakes...

Rotors are wearing below acceptable spec on average at about 30K.Seems fast to me,(must faster than any other vehicle I've owned) asking what other people are averaging for mileage on rotors....

·
Registered
990 Posts
I stand corrected,"Handling Package" Up-rated suspension and wheels but apparently no change to brakes...

Rotors are wearing below acceptable spec on average at about 30K.Seems fast to me,(must faster than any other vehicle I've owned) asking what other people are averaging for mileage on rotors....
I'll be honest with you I don't ever measure rotors. When I do a brake pad change I put new rotors on. My 2010 Ford Focus I did the brakes at 90,000 miles. Normally the only time somebody would ever measure the thickness of a rotor is if they were going to turn it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be honest with you I don't ever measure rotors. When I do a brake pad change I put new rotors on. My 2010 Ford Focus I did the brakes at 90,000 miles. Normally the only time somebody would ever measure the thickness of a rotor is if they were going to turn it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using FF Mobile
I'm assuming the dealer is measuring and inspecting the rotor when they suggest a rotor replacement..Maybe my trust is unfounded but they are a reputable dealer.If a counter person says,"You need to have your rotors replaced" my first inclination is not to say,.."Did you measure them?"...
I have a garage full of motorcycles and do all the work on them so I'm a confident mechanic,just don't like to work on cars without a proper lift/large garage and leave that that work to the shop.Checking measurement of thickness of rotors on an MC is normal maintenance...
Ya,90K is what I have gotten on the high side on my Jeep,30K just seems nuts.Two changes in 4 years at $600 per is unacceptable.Maybe they sourced a cheap rotor for my year or subsequent replacements...

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'm not trying to be rude but $600 I'm sorry but a sucker is born every day. You're getting screwed over. I've worked on cars my whole life went to school for it worked in a couple shops you're getting sold a bunch of bullshit.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I get about 25-30K on the rear pads as I contribute that to fairly small pads & non vented rotors even though they're 11.75'' diameter. For the fronts about 60k as they still had about 25 or so percent before I changed them.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
I have posted elsewhere on this site about cheap Chinese aftermarket rotors that if you measure new out of the box will only be barely above the reject spec and why they are cheaper. They often are worn enough at 90 days to scrap them.

Some Ford dealers use parts stores for their brake parts or at least they did while the lifetime warranty thing covered literally everything. It's to get instant delivery of parts and quick resolution if previous ones had not made the customer happy. Doing that they commonly charge you like the part is official Ford even though it isn't, and they will not let you see the box the new part came in. Needless to say if that happens to you you have likely paid way too much.

I can tell you that if the pads or shoes are semi-metallic then the disc or drum will wear almost as much now as the pads or shoes do. The asbestos is what allowed the parts to last so long and one disc to maybe 5 sets of pad. The asbestos gone now meant the pads have much more metal in them and the parts are close to as hard as the disc is. Meaning they now wear at the same rate or close.

I use ceramic now, they have proven of late to wear well without really wearing the disc at all and close to like things were back in the '60s. Just changed the fronts on Nissan at close to 100K and the discs look almost new. It got pads only and runs fine.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have had my rotors replaced twice in 60K 2014 w/Sport Pkg.Mostly highway miles and I am light on the brakes.I have averaged about 90K on my other vehicles.What are you guys getting? Are the Sport Package rotors the same as the standard version?
Twice in 60K sounds nuts, especially for mostly HWY. My '13 Appearance package has pads on the rear, and that's probably the only difference yours has. My rotors measured close to new at 90K, so I just put on new pads. I've never touched the rear pads/rotors at 110K+ now.

At $600 a pop, this shop may be screwing you on barely worn pads/rotors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Twice in 60K sounds nuts, especially for mostly HWY. My '13 Appearance package has pads on the rear, and that's probably the only difference yours has. My rotors measured close to new at 90K, so I just put on new pads. I've never touched the rear pads/rotors at 110K+ now.

At $600 a pop, this shop may be screwing you on barely worn pads/rotors.
To be clear,IIRC $600 was all 4 rotors and pads,I could be wrong on price so I'll confirm as everyone is freaking out about that number but whether right or wrong I would think all Ford dealers would have to abide by a corporate guideline on labor and parts and not make up a number arbitrarily.The fact they they have been changed twice and that they needed to be done(I know the sound of grinding pads on rotors),I know is accurate...Of the four cars I've owned in the last ten years,this is the only one with such wear.Same driver,sae commute,same driving style....

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
At that price, I would of done a front ST brake upgrade & been done w/ it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Corporate guidelines on labor and parts boy you don't know how dealers work. Go to a real local shop that's highly rated.

·
Registered
919 Posts
To be clear,IIRC $600 was all 4 rotors and pads

I know the sound of grinding pads on rotors),I know is accurate...
$600 for all four at a dealer is about what I'd expect.

If you bring your car to shops on a regular basis for fluids / tire rotations, I'd think they'd tell you the pads were getting low well before they started eating rotors?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$600 for all four at a dealer is about what I'd expect.

If you bring your car to shops on a regular basis for fluids / tire rotations, I'd think they'd tell you the pads were getting low well before they started eating rotors?
Yes that would equate to $150 per wheel for pad/rotor/labor at a dealer,not a local shop so doesn't seem crazy,AT A FORD DEALERSHIP,just way too often,..Sadly we're Focusing(no pun intended) too much on the price and not on the wear length...[hihi]

·
Registered
97 Posts
Exactly. Firm to hard is easier on brakes than long light glazing. Also ensuring you properly Bed the brakes will increase life of all parts involved. I think I ran Factory brakes until 158K miles on my car. At least I don't think they were new at 101k when I bought it and I did it just to do it.. Regret not bleeding them first. Got vapor pockets that took weeks to go away.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts