Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a used zx3 with about 90k miles. The car seems really kept and I just had a few questions. Its a 2000.

Here are my questions:
How long does the car last mechanically?
No car is perfect but I've heard some negative reviews about the car, but it came from a foreign car lover. I need to know the real areas that has potential for failure?

I wanted to know whats the easiest/cheapest way to gain some power for this car?

I have never driven one of these before until I bought mine but the front suspension seems a little loosey goosey is this normal? My wife has a civic and I dont seem to feel the road so much in her car.

One of the drums make a squeek noise when I release the brake is this a sign of trouble or normal stuff?

Thanks In Advance

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
The shocks and struts are mostly likely blown to hell...

I recommend replacing with the SVT suspension kit.
It's less than $300...

only real negative reviews I heard about the 2000 model year focus was all the recalled fuel pumps... It should be good to last you for many years if kept up with proper engine maintainence, and replace those rear brake shoes...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay I will have it looked at. Well since it had 90k on it when I bought it Im wondering if it has already been done. Does the pump just fail around 30 or 40k?

Also anyone else know about milage life for engine/tranny on an auto?

thx again

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"Also anyone else know about milage life for engine/tranny on an auto?"

It really depends upon how they are treated (with care vs. abused) and serviced (regularly or never), and luck. That said, 150K is a reasonable expectation for something that is well cared for, with 200K a real possibility.

P.S. You also said "whats the easiest/cheapest way to gain some power for this car?" Obviously anything you do to gain more power will shorten the expected lifetime of the engine/tranny.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
You can check the VIN at the dealer and they can tell you if the fuel pump recall has been done. If the timing belt hasn't been done that should be on your list too...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts