Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to how accurate the "Average Fuel" statistic in these cars is.

Last week I had about 36 AVG MPG. Then I did an oil change to Valvoline Full Synthetic.

I'm now reading an AVG 41 MPG. I know my drive style and living in rural Ohio affect it, but what exactly made the computer read a 5 MPG gain?

Can't be any way in hell it was the oil change alone. Hahaha.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you reset it? How many miles have you driven since resetting it and how many miles had you driven since the last time you reset it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you reset it? How many miles have you driven since resetting it and how many miles had you driven since the last time you reset it?

I reset the trip meter every time I refuel. Does this reset the MPG counter too? I've only ever seen it steadily increase since I drove the car off the lot. Started at 32. Now I'm at 41

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just reset my trip odometer but the Avg MPG needed to be reset separately. The longer you drive without resetting it the more accurate the overall mpg's will be

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Resetting it everytime just shows MPGs for that tank and that can vary depending on your drive. If you're right out on the hwy after a reset you'll likely see a spike since it's calculating at hwy speed with few start and stops vs resetting it and doing all city driving on the next tank. I get an indicated 27-28 with all city but out on the hwy across Nebraska after a reset I got almost 39 cruising at 80mph for 5 hours for almost the whole tank.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine spiked up with an Amsoil signature oil change. But I'm just over 5300 miles, and I think that maybe the engine is getting freed up as well. Shows around 38+ on the freeway drive.

I've been resetting the trip when I fill up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess it's a good thing I live in rural NE Ohio. I'm about 10 miles out from any major city and you can get away with 70 MPH on my road.

I haven't once reset the MPG meter. Don't really see a point to it honestly.

I think about 30% of my commute is stop and go freeway. Maybe less than that. The rest is 55 MPH state routes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts