Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd hate to go to the dealership, but I wonder if they can fix it with software... And if they can... Can I just do it at my house without them?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Figured I'd add an update for anyone who still cares. Just got back from the dealership. They fixed my recall on door latches while I was there which is good, but they had no idea how to fix the issues. They suggested I need to order a radio from Ford using my Vin in order to get a custom one just for my vehicle which they said would cost around 500 dollars Needless to say I'm going to go with either an aftermarket radio or get one of those Bluetooth to radio adapters. Thanks for all the help, and please let me know if anyone finds a fix that works. -Thanks

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aux wont work

Hello.

I was looking for a cheap solution to get an AUX jack since I have the car, got my hopes up and everything.

I have the base model in my 2013 focus, single wide radio connector+usb+antenna.

I have found the AUX jack pinout in a similar thread and today I have tried to solder a wire to pins 6,17,18. Assembled it back (lost a torx bit down the hole :[ ) but it doesn't work. When switching to AUX only USB playback starts, but my phone showed "headset connected".

Any ideas how to proceed? What else to try to get it working?

(any ideas how to get the torx back from the bottomless pit of the dash? :D )

Many thanks.
Ati

·
Registered
49 Posts
@atax112

First, I have an 2011 Focus with basic cd unit and USB in the glove compartment. The basic cd unit has only one large connector with 26 pins, an smaler one for USB and on for antenna. I don't know how you managed to solder the wires on so small pins.
I've got three wire from another cable, those wire already had the electrical terminal so I could insert them in the cd unit connector (the large one) on the empty places of pin 6, 17, 18. It is a little bit tricky, you have to unlock this connector first so that you can actually insert any terminal in an empty place. This three wire I route them thru the dash until I got them in the glove compartment where the USB already sits. Here I soldered the female jack.
If your cd unit hase two large connector than I am not shore that this will work because in this case the AUX and the USB are managed form an separate sync module or media hub.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@atax112

First, I have an 2011 Focus with basic cd unit and USB in the glove compartment. The basic cd unit has only one large connector with 26 pins, an smaler one for USB and on for antenna. I don't know how you managed to solder the wires on so small pins.
I've got three wire from another cable, those wire already had the electrical terminal so I could insert them in the cd unit connector (the large one) on the empty places of pin 6, 17, 18. It is a little bit tricky, you have to unlock this connector first so that you can actually insert any terminal in an empty place. This three wire I route them thru the dash until I got them in the glove compartment where the USB already sits. Here I soldered the female jack.
If your cd unit hase two large connector than I am not shore that this will work because in this case the AUX and the USB are managed form an separate sync module or media hub.

Hope this helps.
Hi.

I have the basic, one large connector radio with only USB in the center armrest. But still I think there might be some module there as well, because I cannot seem to override the USB being the only option once AUX is selected as a source. Also I need to think of a better way to connect the jack since soldering directly to the units pins isn't the greatest.

Thanks for the reply though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Ovidiur,
I asked similar question in a thread: Radio (AHU) with USB but no Line-in Aux
sorry can't paste links as I don't have enough post count :(

With your answer, seems like the old radio does have aux input (as I thought so too). Can you please tell me in which order the pin numbring start? I couldn't find any reference guide on this. If I find some more details on this, perhaps I'll be able to poke into my own wires to take aux line-in out.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Ovidiur,
I asked similar question in a thread: Radio (AHU) with USB but no Line-in Aux
sorry can't paste links as I don't have enough post count ?

With your answer, seems like the old radio does have aux input (as I thought so too). Can you please tell me in which order the pin numbring start? I couldn't find any reference guide on this. If I find some more details on this, perhaps I'll be able to poke into my own wires to take aux line-in out.

Thanks
I hope this picture will help

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
The aux port is just a connector with 3 wires. There are difference in the old and new cd units. Old units have one big connector, an usb port and an antenna connector. The aux port wires goes in the big connector at pin 17 & 18 for right and left channel and pin 6 for ground.
Now the new cd units have two big connectors. The aux port is routed trought the bluetooth/voice module then passed to the cd unit on the above mentioned pins. So the wiring in this two situation are diffrent.
First picture you see old cd unit with usb connector and second picture you can see new unit with two big connector. Pin 17, 18 and 6 are located on the big connector from the first picture, respectively the connector an the left side on the second picture.
On the 2nd image, what is the 2nd connector suitable for?
I have the same car stereo on my Ford Focus 2012 and the aun-in jack and usb don't work at all. Some say it does not software installed from factory..??! Weird....so, i'm loking for an alternative to bring out, at least, an aux-in jack from the car stereo. Does this 2nd connectorallow me to do that?

·
Registered
49 Posts
That is the CD unit for high audio with Bluetooth voice control and/or sync. That conector is probabile for those function.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I only have the standard CD unit so I can not tell for shore. You can still try to connect to the main connector pin 6, 17 and 18 and see if you can feed some music in the unit. But if you have this high audio CD unit you probabile have also bluethoot voice control (BVC) that is not working that's why your existing USB and aux-in are not working. USB and aux-in in case of high audio are feed through the BVC module.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It can be done

Hi.

What I did with my standard cd unit (without bluetooth) is that I connected an aux jack on the mentioned pins.

I used an internal PC cable, Floppy Disk Drive power cable and got the pins out for convenience.

This wasn't the end of it. I had the aux jack connected, but the unit did not have it enabled in the firmware(just another ridiculous decision by manufacturer).

I had to look for info on this and found a russian site(they hack everything), after translation and some more searching I got an OBD cable from ebay, downloaded and prepared the needed software package on my old laptop and prayed I don't screw up anything.

In hindsight, it was easy. Connect to the car, download(backup), change and upload aux input setting. Done.

Once you have all steps done you can use a bluetooth receiver/amplifier as input or just connect a phone, player, whatever source and headbang on the roads :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
@atax112
I already had the aux-in enabled, just connected the wires with the aux female jack, but I am curiose what settings did you changed with focccus?

·
Registered
9 Posts
There was a specific setting for the aux in.

According to the original post at

https://www.drive2.ru/l/2430380

It should be line 123, where value 1 should be changed to 2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any way to put me in contact with the succesful expert?
I have a Ford Focus 2012. No aux, usb or bluetooth working
Desperately need help...
Many thanx!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am not an expert but I think first you have to determine if you have standard audio or bluetooth voice control. If USB and aux is in the gloves compartment then it's standard audio and if they don't work it probabile the CD unit fault. If you have BVC and they don't work then it's this modules fault.
Search the net for the wiring schematic/manual and so you can understand if you can read does schematics.
I think many of us here are not experts, just like to do mods, diy projects or upgrades on our cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The USB and AUX-IN are located in my glove compartment
Any USB device (USB2) that i connect to it, it only shows " USB initializing" for a few minutes, and then it stops without reading the USB device.
As to the AUX-IN, the displays shows "Line-in active", but nothing happens.
For Bluetooth, some options are visible on the display, but there is no bluetooth module installed.
I brought out the stereo unit today, and measured continuity (with voltage tester), between the 3 wires from AUX-IN and pins 6, 17 and 18 on the stereo unit male connector. Strange fact, is that there is continuity between those 3 wires of the AIX-IN jack and many others. According to FORD diagnosis, my car is not "equiped with software"
This is a bit strange, i mean, at least the AUX-IN jack should work.
Previously, i owned a Ford Focus 2010 Mk2, with 6000 stereo unit, and the AUX-IN worked fine. At the moment i am looking to purchase the "OBDII OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC INTERFACE FORD ECU SCAN CABLE FOR FORD FOCOM"
What can you say about al this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am about to order the OBD2 kit "OBDII OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC INTERFACE FORD ECU SCAN CABLE FOR FORD FOCOM". It comes with an installation software cd.
I don't know if this software suits the purpuse (i have the same problem as you in my Ford Focus)
What software did you download?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts