Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully found a way to AUX IN to their standard Focus head units?

(I see the discussion about the failed attempt to use the CD changer input on the MP3 head unit as an aux in).

Has anyone switched out the stock head unit for a unit with an AUX IN?

The Focus stock head units are tall. What happens when you switch to a more standard sized head unit... is there a stock "bin" that goes below the head unit?

I would really like to connect my MP3 player to my in car radio... (FYI, I use an IRiver IPH-120).

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I don't know if there is a way to add an aux in to your factory HU. I talked to someone at the gas station I use for my company car and he used to work for a stereo repair shop and claimed there was something called a "spiker" that would do this, but I didn't research it and really had no clue what he was talking about.

I just gave up and installed a Nakamichi HU that had an aux in so I could hook up my iPod. If you go aftermarket, then you have to get an installation kit from a company like Scosche or Metra, which is basically just a "faceplate" that fits around the new stereo and fills in the extra space - I have the Scosche and it has a storage pocket under the stereo in that extra space.

What kind of Ford stereo do you have now, the tape, the single CD, six-disc CD, Audiophile, etc... [?]

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
The guy to tell you about this would be Scott, aka sa_pyro_ne, but he's on hiatus for awhile, I think this is finals week for him at school. I don't know much about the MP3 CD unit that comes with the Focus - I had the Audiophile system with the six-disc unit, which does not have any inputs, nor a connection for a changer since it's already a changer. I didn't enjoy the hassle of trying to figure out the wiring in the Audiophile system, but I have to say that I like the Nak much more than the factory HU. So what I'm trying to say is that bottom line, it's probably worth it to just yank the factory unit and upgrade to something aftermarket that comes with an aux input.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
hey, i don't know aobut that spiker thing, i'll look for info on it later but it's probably some sort of fm modulator, but those will just add to signal degration, it's not a good idea if your info any sort of sound quality. the best idea is to go aftermarket, you can get everything you need including wiring harness and instllation kit and antenna adapter for about $150 shipped or less. good luck.

- Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts