Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has an answer buried somewhere in here, but this has always really bugged me.

High quality speakers intended for home use cost much less than car speakers.
Is there any advantage to car speakers?
Are they built to deal better with an acoustically poor environment?
Are they built to withstand the elements better?
I know you can get car speakers that include both midrange drivers and tweeters as well as little low-pass filters, but the extra cost still seems unreasonable.

Would it be best just to buy home audio drivers from Parts Express and find somebody to make you up some crossovers?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
home audio drivers are best used in an active setup with their own amp channels, etc.

I originally planned to use Seas Excel W18NX-001 7" woofers:
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=1199152.11466&pid=1940

I chose to keep it simple for now, and not go active with multiple amps, and the extra costs involved.

Of course you can make passive crossovers, but it won't sound right unless you have the proper software and testing equipment to make them work in the car environment. Higher-end car audio passive sets are optimized for the car environment, being that the drivers are off-axis and used in an infinite baffle, etc. They'll use Zobel, Notch filters, etc.

tons of great information for DIY car audio at...
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum

due to other factors, most 8 ohm drivers work just fine. you don't necessarily have to double the power to use them. but of course it depends on the specific driver and it's intended use.

like I said, there's a LOT of info at that site

enjoy

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
If you want to build an active setup, let me know your total budget, and if you want a 2-way or 3-way front. I'll put together a potential system plan for you. It may or may not have 8 ohm home audio drivers. [;)]

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I could make a suggestion, try Boston Acoustic SL 80 componet plates for your factory 5x7 replacements. Cost will be around $250 per pair and worth every penny at your local retailer. The plate that holds the driver and seperate tweeter is specifically designed to replace a factory 5 x 7" speaker. Sound quality, imaging, and range are very impressive with a good head unit. Add these to a good 4 channel amplifier and a sub or two and your car will be ready to rock.

·
Registered
22 Posts
And to fully answer your question, yes car audio speakers are designed very differently from home audio speakers. The materials in car audio speakers are designed to deal with extreme heat, home audio speakers simply are not. The interior tempature of a car in my parking lot at work will exceed 130. Also the ohm factor does come into play, most car audio speakers or at least the higher end versions will come with built in cross-over's and need to be wired properly to give the head unit the correct ohm load. Doing it your self is fine, just be sure to have a professional in the back round somewhere willing to help. Mistakes wiring up car audio equipment tends to cost alot. Take your time, and I have all kind of tips and tricks for any DIY's.

·
Registered
398 Posts
FocusInCali directed me to PArts Express where I just ordered my DAYTON 7 inch home drivers and some SEAS tweeters....I'm going custom active myself. I plan on starting the install next week...well, the planning part of it lol. I've been too busy. All I am waiting for now is the Arc Audio 4150 to arrive! [eek]

Then I think all I need is another sheet of MDF, some crimpers that can handle 4 gauge (any ideas Focusincali? Anything around $20 or less?), and a connector or two.

Woohoo, I'm excited! [:)~]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lightning Audio makes great acoustic crimps in all sizes and def. for under $20 bucks. Don't scimp on your connections, your tunes will suffer.

·
Registered
398 Posts
SQUILLY said:
Lightning Audio makes great acoustic crimps in all sizes and def. for under $20 bucks. Don't scimp on your connections, your tunes will suffer.
I can't find the crimper tool anywhere...any idea where I could grab one online?

and I am fully aware that I can't cut corners on connections, that's why I am buying the proper tool. I have been forced to use vices and such in the past and they just didn't come out the way I wanted. A real crimper pushes the connectors into the wire better...

I just can't find any that go below 10 gauge.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
PartsExpress has a few of them ranging from $17 to $38.
Search 'crimper'

·
Registered
22 Posts
all my tools are either purchased thru my Matco rep or online at Crutchfield. Never used Parts Express but I have seen their name mentioned several times. I've just personally gone through alot of tools and now I try to buy just one good one of each. Speaking of which, anyone know a good company to find a 90* @??? Mine seems to....suck.

·
Registered
398 Posts
SQUILLY said:
all my tools are either purchased thru my Matco rep or online at Crutchfield. Never used Parts Express but I have seen their name mentioned several times. I've just personally gone through alot of tools and now I try to buy just one good one of each. Speaking of which, anyone know a good company to find a 90* @??? Mine seems to....suck.
Crutchfield only goes as big as 10 gauge on crimpers. I seriously don't feel like dropping $40 for damn crimpers ill use a handful of times. that's lame.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, this is a pretty impressive community. Cool, it's nice to know there's at least *some* reason for the higher cost of car audio. I don't know when I'm going to actually upgrade, since the factory Audiophile system is livable, but I'm definitely going to check that site out. Hopefully I'll even understand it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
just bring yer wires to a local shop and ask them to crimp em...if they're nice they shouldn't charge you. we havent had too many people do that at our shop but im sure we'd be glad to help em out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts