Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I been doing some searching. Can't really find what I want to know. Here are some of my questions about automatic. I read some of the forums and people put them down very heavily. I don't know why. Because my 2.3 atxbeat my friends zetec mtx.

1. Do they make any Racing Automatic Trans. I can put into my car?
2. Do automatics make any less Horsepower then the manual, with same engine. Because I was reading over the forum and this guy with basic bolt on's and nitro, said he was dissapointed in the numbers. Everybody said it was because of the auto?
3. I heard they had 2 auto's somewhere putting down 13's. If so anybody have those links?
4. While I was searching forums, I noticed a post that the guy said the atx transmission can only hold 150 pounds of tq. Is this true or is that just for a zetec? Anybody know how much Torque the duratec can handle?

Thats basically it. Thanx for your time and any replies

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
1. you can get a performance shifting kit for it. and that will make it shift harder but i don't know if anyone makes billet plaentary sets for a atx-75
2. the engine makes the same power, but there is a ton more driveline loss
3. dunno

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
1) yes, call up lentech they can get you a new vavle body, torque converter, or a whole new transmission if you've got the money
2) expect around 10% more of a loss than the mtx
3) Turbo Tom (1turbofocus) has an auto ZX3 (a lentech built transmission) that'll run 13's (actually less than that i believe)
4) the zetec has a weaker TQ converter than the Duratec has, so it'll hold a little more, though not much as it's still the same transmission (4F27E, not the atx-75)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much am I looking for at for a new auto tranny w/labor?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Go over to www.lentechautomatics.com for all your atx needs.
The top of the line tranny from them goes for around 4k, but will withstand
up to 500 hp.

If you are just looking for some added strength with either a conservative F/I
or max N/A all you really need is the street terminator torque converter,
modified valvebody (with or with out trans brake) and the street terminator
overhaul (which replaces all the bands and linkages).

as far as labor costs, call shops in your area and ask them how much it would
cost to replace the bands and linkages and the torque converter.

a stock focus atx with any engine will not even remotely reach 13's

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am prolly going to run about 10-12psi. Is that considered conservative? Thanx for the site btw.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
^^^^ that I would consider conservative, since the jackson racing (zetec) supercharger
with the big boost kit only pushes 10 psi.
But the parts that I listed above will more than suffice.

I spoke to a guy at lentech and asked him what I needed to get to run approx
10-15 psi and a 75 shot of NOS and he said that those parts will handle all
that power.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well everything was cheaper then i thought at least. Guess gonna have to see how much labor is lol :-(. I want to get turbo and run around 8psi at first will the stock tranny be able to handle that?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
How many miles does you tranny have on it now?

My ATX is starting to slip just a tad with the mods listed below

CompCams XR Stg 1
OBX long tube header
Focus Sport stealth exhaust

But I have been punishing the tranny for a little over a year now.
So you might be able to withstand the 8psi for a couple or even 9 months.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It just hit 20k. I beat the crap outa mine. I have it shifting around 6300. I guess, ill just save up and buy the tranny and turbo next summer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You could probably do an MTX-75 swap for around the same amount of cash but you'd have to do a bit of fabricating to add in the clutch and master cylinder. Otherwise, it'd bolt right on. If you're planning on just running the 1/4 mile get the beefed up automatic. There is still going to be more drivetrain loss with the ATX but with those parts and the right tune you'll still probably take an MTX equipped Focus putting down the same BHP. If you're wanting to autox it, swap it for an MTX.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya, i was reading on the mtx but people say it falls through. Most people just end up trading auto in for mtx. But since my focus is my car i have this bond with it, lol. I take very good care of my car. So I dont know how hard its to find a D23 manual in good condition as mine is. But I dont want it to be a 1/4 mile monster just to run low under maybe 14.

·
Registered
108 Posts
ok, i havnt done it in a focus, but in a first gen probe all it took was these few parts to switch from atx to mtx...... i had a donor car just like mine also..... pull man. tranny out of donor car one night (about three hours)(me and dad are both mechanics) pull auto tranny out of my car next night (about three hours, same as above) Me about 8 hours saturday (with a little dad help) man. tranny in, and me switching pedal box (entire brake/clutch/gas pedal assembley) out of donor car and into my car. the probe had the provision to mount the master cylinder and all so.... if the focus has the same provision, it is not too hard if.... and i mean if... you have a little mechanical knowledge. i am going to permit myself to mechanical horridge this one time to help, if you need it pm me

·
Registered
108 Posts
and if you dont know what mechanical knowledge is, please dont pm (sorry i just hate hearing from the people who think they know all and dont (cruz))

·
Registered
345 Posts
theres a bit more to it then that in the focus. if its in the old body style, the automatic engine sits back about an inch towards the firewall. you will need to swap I believe only the passenger motor mount. I'm gonna be doing this myself eventually (have the trans but not all the extras). and what do you mean by the mtx falling through?? theres tons of people who have had no problems at all. and as far as the integrity of the atx on the duratecs, I have almost 40,000 miles on mine with no problems at all, and trust me i don't baby the car one bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts