Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have an automatic and what i want to know is , is it bad for the transmission or any other part of the car to hold the break and push the gas enough to get it revving but not lurch forward?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I asked the same thing. Didnt get a real responce either.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
No, it doesn't affect anything if you unless you do it for a long amount of time. I launch like that at the track.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's not bad for it as long as you don't hold it there for a real long time. Just don't take the RPM's too high up, since you are most likely still running the stock torque converter(wich probably has a stall around 1300 rpm's, although i'm not sure on that). If you do plan to brake boost your car alot, I suggest you consider buying a transmission cooler for it since it will over heat if held at high rpm's for too long.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zyghot said:
It's not bad for it as long as you don't hold it there for a real long time. Just don't take the RPM's too high up, since you are most likely still running the stock torque converter(wich probably has a stall around 1300 rpm's, although i'm not sure on that). If you do plan to brake boost your car alot, I suggest you consider buying a transmission cooler for it since it will over heat if held at high rpm's for too long.
how much is a transmission cooler?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Ive taken it up to about 4k before holding the break with everything stock and I didnt seem to break anything or stall out so i would say theres nothing that will make you stall out and yes i was only there for a quick sec. something to long would damage the trans and you dont want that. also i would suggest getting a trans gauge for temp that way you always know how hot it is before its to late.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bboy mR. SuAvE said:
how much is a transmission cooler?
They can be bought at a local parts store for about $80. And it never hurts to have one since your transmission will hold an extra amount of fluid due to it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
after a run dont shut the car off or you run a chance of destroying the input shaft seal on your trans. this can happen becaues of the much higher heat the torque converter will reach. just allow the car to sit and idle for ten minutes or so to cool down.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i might think about that too. supposedly if you do the brake torque too much the trans will overheat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts