Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently the driver's side automatic window on my '03 focus gave a whining/grinding noise then completely stopped working. I'm pretty sure the motor is shot (have had it happen to both front windows before). Is this something that would be DIY fixable? I'm kind of strapped for cash right now, and I'm wondering if it would be cheaper/feasible to find the part and fix it myself...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yes its not hard to do but I have not done it on a Focus but many other cars take the door handle off then the door panel off be carefull the plastic slips that hold the door panel on can brake you can get new one at Auto Zone though in the self help tree. After the door handle and panal are off you should see the motor for the window unplug it. The motor mybe riveted or bolted on not sure most of the ones I have done has been riveted in drile out the riveted and bolt in new motor long as you have some tools and a little know how you will be fine. You check for used parts at a salvage yard or buy new. Hope this helped a little

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Trouble shoot to confirm what is actually wrong.

If the switch clicks or makes a noise when you throw it, then it will either be the motor or the actual scissor assembly itself.

Definitely try to get the parts from a junkyard first, since they will be WAY less expensive.

It should just be a matter of taking off the door panels (be careful taking off the panel that covers the screws on the door pull, it is easy to mar), unplugging the old motor, drilling out some rivets, and then bolting everything back up. Tape the window at the top inside and out so that the window doesn't fall in the door and break while you're taking everything apart.

Take lots of pictures and post up a how-to, I don't think there is one yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts