Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Auto transmission flushed today from a friend who works at ford. He used Mercon V fluid (just like the Chilton book says to use). After the flush was performed, I noticed that the car now shifts into 2nd oddly. It will act like it's about to shift into 2nd, and then it will rev higher, then shift.

I talked to another friend and he said to maybe reset the ECU (I haven't done that yet). I just thought this was a little weird that immediately after the flush, this starts happening.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
341 Posts
What year is your car, how many miles?

·
Registered
341 Posts
well after the flush you may have knock some varnish loose and possibly caused some blockage..... just my first guess

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I reset the ECU and it's still occuring. I talked to someone else and he said when his ATX died, this was the first sign of it starting to die. I'm under warranty for 6,000 more miles, so I'm going to be making a trip to the dealer this week.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By searching this forum I have come up with 2 possibilities which seem to be the only logical explanation for this problem occuring right after my flush.

1.) Mercon IV was accidentally used instead of Mercon V. I will verify this first thing tomorrow.

2.) The Automatic Transmission was "shocked" from the flush. Apparently if you don't flush your system every 30K on time, your transmission can fail just from flushing the system. The last time I flushed my system was at 50K, and now I'm at 95K. Some shops refuse to do Automatic Transmission flushes now because of customer complaints after flushing the system.

I will update this thread when I find out which of these is my specific case.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well old school we used to drain and drop the pan, clean the pan and replace the filter.From what I have seen if they use a pressure flush if its not done right or even if its done right its no good.As far as I know if you got particulate matter IE: metal frags from wear and they are laying in the pan sure they might get flushed out and sure they might go back into the valve bodies. I had a trans a few years ago pressure flushed and 6 weeks later it was shot and cost me 1200 to rebuild. Pressure flushing stirs up all the crap in the pan and then later what didnt pass is still in the pan.Plus do we change our oil without changing the filter?So the way I see it I'd want a new trans filter and fresh fluid and the pan cleaned out.Another thing is if the operator doesnt pay attention to the operation of the flush machine he can even blow seals in the trans. due to pressure fluctuations and too high a setting. Just more food for thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tranny machines don't use pressure.

I've been in the oil changing business for 4 years now and I've gathered a little knowledge in that time. Transmission machines do not use pressure to flush your system. They run on the engines pressure and your engine does the actual work.

If you want to do a tranny flush on your focus (just like those big expensive looking machines), then all you have to do is get a hose for the metal end of your transmission cooler line on the radiator and attach it with a hose clamp.

All the machine does is provide a hidden bucket ( on the backside of the machine ) filled up with transmission fluid from which your car can suck it up and be "flushed".

Once you've got your hoses hooked up (and in a bucket so ur old tranny fluid can come out), get a funnel and start dumping tranny fluid in there, as you do this you'll see old nasty brown fluid coming out.

Badda bing badda boom, you've got your self a tranny flush.

Next time you go to a local oil change shop, ask to see there trans flushing machine. All it has on it is a pressure gauge and maybe a little spinning fan to show that theres flow. There is no pump, there is no loud humming noise to prove theres a pump, and oddly enough, the only reason is has a power hook up (that goes to the battery) is to turn the light on behined the little spinning fan so it can look technical.

And NO, the pressure gauge is not because theres a pump in the machine, ok? Its the cars actual pressure in the system. You'll notice on most toyotas you'll get from 5-12 psi, where as a dodge or chevrolet will give you 20-40 psi. They all vary depending on manufacturer.

In fact, the only thing you'll be missing from your do-it-yourself tranny flush is that actual gauge telling u that there is pressure. I have eyeballs for that and I can see whether or not dirty fluid is coming out. :)

Wanna go a little faster on your toyotas? Have a frend keep the engine a little above idle to boost the pressure in the system and boom, squirt squirt, u'r going faster!

Most cooling machines dont even have pumps (some newer designed ones do) but the only difference is that with the pump, you can do it with the car off and without the pump you must do it with the car running and the heat blowing full blast (to make sure theres heat, and no blockage to the heater core).

Just my 2 cents!, btw im new to forum and i'm going to pull my EGR valve and clean it up because the OBD2 threw a check engine (EGR EXCESSIVE FLOW). So look for my write-up (with pics) on that issue! :D

EDIT(to stay on topic)

And yes, if you don't flush your tranny regularly and then try to flush it down the road sometime, you can get break up clogging your tranny flow thus leading to transmission problems. Which is why most big quick lube joints (i.e. Valvoline and JiffyLube) always put on your invoice that they are NOT LIABLE FOR TRANSMISSION SERVICES OVER 60k.

Read your invoices and make sure you're not signing your cars death warrant. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone I am new to this, but I was hoping that I could get some clarification and some answers. I bought a brand new 2004 focus and a couple of months ago it started shifting into 2nd like i was throwing it into neutral and then it would go into 2nd. Also, when I would put it into reverse or drive it jerks. I have had it at the dealer that I bought it through 4 times already for this and they are saying that they test drive it and they find nothing wrong with it. I have heard from a lot of people that focuse's have a lot of problems with transmissions. I have a 100,000 mile and 7 year warrenty and my husband says to drive it until it falls out. NOT COOL!! I have a 3 month old baby that I drive around in the focus on a daily basis. If anyone has any suggestions please help!! I dont know what else to do. Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jmgrimes said:
Hello everyone I am new to this, but I was hoping that I could get some clarification and some answers. I bought a brand new 2004 focus and a couple of months ago it started shifting into 2nd like i was throwing it into neutral and then it would go into 2nd. Also, when I would put it into reverse or drive it jerks. I have had it at the dealer that I bought it through 4 times already for this and they are saying that they test drive it and they find nothing wrong with it. I have heard from a lot of people that focuse's have a lot of problems with transmissions. I have a 100,000 mile and 7 year warrenty and my husband says to drive it until it falls out. NOT COOL!! I have a 3 month old baby that I drive around in the focus on a daily basis. If anyone has any suggestions please help!! I dont know what else to do. Thanks!
Please make a new post. What you did above is called "hijacking a thread" and is frowned upon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an appointment with the dealer on Monday to get this checked out. I have verified that Mercon V was used in the flush and I checked the fluid today and it has enough fluid in there. The flush must have stirred up something in the pan and caused it to start slipping. There is no other explanation - it was fine before that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Transmission issues - HELP!!

Wasnt trying to "hijack" anything like I said I am new to this so please bear with me. I am just trying to get some answers. [;)]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Transmission issues - HELP!!

jmgrimes said:
Wasnt trying to "hijack" anything like I said I am new to this so please bear with me. I am just trying to get some answers. [;)] [/B]
AGAIN - please create a new thread, not a reply.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts