Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the topic says, 5th gear is basicaly shot almost in my Focus. Its a 2003 Sedan model with a 2.3 liter Zetec, automatic transmission. If that information is wrong then I must have read the manuel wrong. Any ways... I just got back from a transmission shop and they said I need a new or rebuilt transmission. He gave me a note for it also: "P.O. 743 4th Gear Ration" and I believe the last portion is camer.. gamer... not sure. The tranny also slammed into gear before this problem arrised and all of the gears before 5th hesitates to kick into proper gear. I talked to the guy and he said that getting a tranny flush might help it live longer till I can fix the problem. Does any one have any help or suggestions that could prolonge the life, or repair it withought having to get a new tranny?

BTW, he said a rebuilt one would cost around 2,600.00 USD [?|] and that if the filter gets clogged then the tranny would basicaly just shut down. To my understanding, dont I just have to replace the filter? Or is there more to it?

Any help, suggestions, comments would be greatfull since this is the only vehicle me and my fiance have right now. [?|]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Umm, do you mean 2.0L zetec? A 2.3 is a Duratec engine. You need to make sure which it is first. if you send me your vin# i can see what you have exactly. I have an auto for a zetec that only has about 2K miles on it.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
LOL^ I really didnt catch that either.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
It is helpful if you can tell us what motor you have in your vehicle either a 2.0 SPI, spark plugs go in the side of the head, 2.0 Zetec spark plug goes in the center with a standard boot, or a Duratec where the spark plugs go in the center but the coils are on top of each plug.

Your problem could be as simple as shifter linkage.

Yes you can change the filter out yourself if you have some knowledge of tools and procedures. You'll need the filter and gasket (come together), some automatic transmission fluid- whatever is recommended in your owner's manual, and basic hand tools. A manual, like a Haynes manual, would be a tool you will definately need.

My current guess is that your linkage needs to be adjusted, but there are people who know more about these cars and this transmision than I do who will help you in time.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
If adjustment to the cable will help you, then the adjustment is on the front side of the transmission in the engine compartment. You will see a cable coming from the firewall, going over the top of and down the front of the transmission. The cable will be secured to the transmission and attatched to a lever. There is some adjustment of the cable at the point where the cable is mounted to the transmission. I'm only reading from a manual, and it doesn't describe exactly how to adjust or remove the cable. You're on your own for figuring that out.

Have someone move the transmission shifter through the gear selections while observing the cable operation at the transmission. Have your helper tell you what gear the shifter is in so that you know what movement on the shifter corresponds to movement on the selector. Remove the cable from the selector, or loosen the cable so that you can move the selector on the transmission through all the gear selection points. Determine if the shifter was providing full movement to the gear selector. Move the shifter to Park or 1, and re-install the shift cable or tighten the shift cable mount. Have your helper move the shifter through the gears and make sure that the gear selector is operating correctly, Add or remove slack on the cable until the shifter and gear selector are operating correctly.

Wait a minute.. now that I've written all this, doesn't the ATX shift into 4th using an electric "OD" button? If so I just wasted my time..... [:(]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude, I didnt know that the 2.3 was the wrong engine.... I have been buying the wrong filters the whole time then....[:I] Its the 2.0 Zetec engine. I have actually counted the gears shifting and for what I can tell it has 5 gears. Although lately it seems to have 4 like you guys stated. To my knowledge 'Whynot' yes, you just gota hit the OD button to shift out of OD, but that doesnt help any what so ever. I gota go run some errunds, but I will update the info on my car when I get back. Shouldnt be to long.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
That "5th" you refer to is what's called the torque converter lock up. Basically the torque converter acts like the clutch in a standard trans except it never fully hooks up until the vehicle is travelling at a steady speed. Then the torque converter locks up the connection between the transmission and the motor.

Have you checked your fluid level when the car is idling in park?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have actually put in too much in the past, and now that you mentioned it. How do I drain some of that fluid? Cause its WAY behond the full mark. Its been like that for about.... 5 months now I think. Also, I put in the 2.3 liter oil filter on my car. Will that do any damage to it now that I think of it.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Overfilling an ATX is never a good thing. The stuff foams and cannot function properly with all that entrained air. I think I'd drop the pan and do a simple fluid/filter change, and spill in the correct amount of Mercon V Fluid. Then see where you stand. Still not right- try the adjustments whynot is talking about. There's a good chance you'll be OK.

No matter what happens, stay away from that transmission shop. He's up to something, I'm just tellin' ya! He let you believe this is a 5-speed unit, I'm leery of him.

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
well isn't the "5th" gear the over drive?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Stryker20000 said:
I have actually put in too much in the past, and now that you mentioned it.
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.
How do I drain some of that fluid? Cause its WAY behond the full mark. Its been like that for about.... 5 months now I think.
[slap]
[nutkick]
The only way to drain it is to remove the pan, so you might as well get a filter kit from the dealer. Check and make sure it comes with sealant. From what the Helms manual says, you must make a gasket for this one.

There's about 20 bolts holding the pan to the bottom of the transmission. Loosen all the bolts to finger tight, then back off halfway on the 3 bolts on the corner closest to the ground. Use a putty knife to carefully push through the sealant between the pan and the transmission- do not pry, only break the sealant loose by pushing in as far as 1/2" penetration ([headbang]), and try not to scrape anything. If fluid does not start draining (you need a plastic litter box), then loosen other bolts to let the corner down, and separate more of the sealant. After the pan drains begin removing the rest of the bolts- there will still be fluid in the pan. Remove the pan, and the filter should be obviously in front of you. Look at all the wires and connectors to be sure these are connected (if one is not connected: Ford loves you)- this is in case you accidentally remove one while removing the old filter. Replace the filter.

Scrape the remaining sealant off the transmission and the pan with your fingernails or a plastic spoon, plastic scraper.. etc: nothing metal. Clean the surfaces with a rag, and apply sealant. If no sealant comes with the Ford kit, hit the parts guy with a baseball bat, and take some. Apply a thin bead of sealant to the pan, and install the pan. If you're going this far, you should have a torque wrench to properly tighten the bolts, and the sequence in which to tighten. The cheapo bar wrenches are good for this.

If you've never jacked up a car, read the directions in the owner's manual, and use the emergency jack. Just be safe, be on level pavement, chock the rear wheels, and you should be fine.

Beer helps the pain.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will have to wait till Saturday or Sunday to do all of that. About how much does the kit cost? Below 50 bucks from the dealer? Cause I usualy hit up Kragens or Pep Boys for my stuff. Also, im still curious about the oil filter. I put in the 2.3 liter filter onto my car the last time I changed my oil, about 3k miles ago. Am I damaging my car in any way? Also I have been using 5W30 oil. W20 and 30 doesnt really make much of a difference, correct?

Last but not least, I wanted to say that you all have given me hope of not having to get into an "accident" [;)] to get my car repaired. Thank you all very much and I will update you guys on how its doing about 500 miles after I do the whole tranny changy thingamagige [thumb]

·
Registered
274 Posts
5speed? I got ripped off. I got a 2001 ZX3 with ATX its only a 3 speed with OD.The only time I ever saw a 5 speed ATX was on a vette

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
How long (miles) have you been putting the wrong filter on? The most serious problem with a seriously mis-fit filter would be blowing oil all over the place. Short of that if you haven't been doing it for a long time I would guess that it shouldn't be a problem...

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
awnuts said:
5speed? I got ripped off. I got a 2001 ZX3 with ATX its only a 3 speed with OD.The only time I ever saw a 5 speed ATX was on a vette
I am not calling you out I just get annoyed when people call a transmission a 3 speed with O/D as if O/d is not a gear. Last time checked all 3 speeds with O/D are 4 speed transmissions. Back in the day you could get a 3 speed with O/D tacked onto the tailshaft of the trans but that day has long since passed. I know dodge did this I think with their 904 RWD transmission could have been another trans though. I remember an old guy saying the vette with 6 speed was not really a 6 speed transmssion but a 4speed with 2 O/Ds. Now I understand where they are coming from because when you are racing you almost never get into O/D but I just don't like.

But then again I am anal about calling a transmssion tranny. If you talk to someone who does not know much about cars they might find the statement "My Tranny went down on me while I was on the freeway last week." a little on odd side of things.

/threadjack

Sorry about that.

Like others have said you have to get the excess fluid out of that transmission having excess fuild can cause erratic transmission behaivour.

I am going to get my mind out of the gutter now.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Stryker20000 said:
Cause I usualy hit up Kragens or Pep Boys for my stuff.
They will have it also, and it should be less than $50, don't forget the RTV.
Also, im still curious about the oil filter. I put in the 2.3 liter filter onto my car the last time I changed my oil, about 3k miles ago. Am I damaging my car in any way? Also I have been using 5W30 oil. W20 and 30 doesnt really make much of a difference, correct?
As long as the filter screwed on, and oil did not leak out, you should be fine. It's up to you if you want to change to the lighter oil. Ask the service department manager at your Ford dealer, but I don't think it is a problem. I use Amsoil 0W30, and change every 20k or so because I'm lazy.

Double check the VECI sticker, in the top left hand corner it should give the engine displacement. This sticker is on the underside of the hood, or somewhere under the hood of the car, and has a small vacuum diagram on it for the engine emmissions. A 121 is a 2.0, and a 141 is a 2.3, but it should give it in L or cc. Just to be sure, also the 2.3 would have the oil filter in the front, and I think the Zetec 2.0 would have the filter in the rear of the engine compartment. I've heard the Zetec is harder to change, but I have a Duratec.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Did I mention that it will take 7 qts of Mercon V automatic transmission fluid to fill the transmission? Also you check the ATX fluid level with the car running, in park, and there are different readings on the gauge for hot or cold fluid level. If you check it when it is not running, it will appear to be over filled.

Why? Because the torque converter, your clutch, sucks up AT fluid when it is spinning, and it is not spinning when the motor is off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The last thread, I never knew that. I always thought you needed the engine running cause the tranny displaces the fluid evenly so that you get an even reading. Learn something new everyday. BTW, I do have a 2.0 Zetec engine. And yes, its a pain in the arse to change the oil filter. Everytime I spill oil on my body and on the engine chasie. Stupid filter... For the wrong filter, just the past 3k miles. For the last 4 oil changes I took it to Wal*Mart until I noticed they never checked and filled ANY of my fluids even though I paid for it. Twice I complained about it to have it done. Plus I worked there for 3 1/2 years and got no where so I have a grudge with them still ^.^;

1 - 20 of 40 Posts