Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Automatic to Manual Transmission swap.

60K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  Skyla_Tretyakova 
#1 ·
I found a manual transmission with 85k on it for 150$. Says it was tested and works well.
Ive always wnated to do a tranny swap.
When he says he has a manual tranny, is that all i need? Im sure theres like 100 other parts i need to do the swap as well correct?
Where can i go to learn all the peices im going to need in order to do a successful swap?
And then i have toms Tune, what kind of stuff will i have to do tune wise. Will i have to reset the Car and Transmission ECU codes? can tom do that with his tune?

Ive never read about transmissions and theres not a thread in here about how to do the swap so please help me out!

#12 ·
Hello i am new here i already committed to my motor and trans swap now i am in a pickle so my car is a 01 zx3 auto and i just finished putting my 03 zx3 motor and manual trans in pedels and stifter mounted computer swaped ........now what do i do about the clutch pedel switch i don't have wires for it how do i bye past or do i need to swap all dash wires too plz help i am a bit over my head :/

#15 ·
Ouch. I'm trying to avoid diving into the dash wiring too far. Only have the clutch switches to work out. From what I can determine one of the 2 switches is for the Cruise control and the other is the clutch position switch. I have a donor vehicle but would like wiring diagrams before I go further.

#20 ·
I just did the swap. Previously removed most of unnecessary wires other than what lets the car drive down the road. Had tune from tom but auto trans was continuously getting worse and rebuild didn't help. So got everything in and hooked up other than two plugs for auto gear change and one next to that. Now car will not power up. Does something need spliced together?

#25 ·
Yes got everything back together and running but clutch wouldn't disengage. Was not a bleeding issue as i did every possible bleeding technique and had other mechanic friends look at it. I have yet to get it back apart to see where issue is. The pressure plate was unusually difficult to put on. Was too tight for bolts to start. Bought clutch as a kit (exedy pro-kit) so it should be correct but apparently only one model number flywheel works with that disk and plate but exedy can't tell me why they would put wrong one in kit.

#29 ·
Hello there, I do am new to this forum. But i too want to tackle the job of manual swapping a 2006 ford focus zx4, does anyone here have a list of the items i would need? I was able to snag a 12k mile mtx for 300$. I just have not found alot of info for the zx4. And want to make sure i get everything right, since i am assuming some parts will vary between the other models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.