Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know that your car while not running automatically locks itself? I didn't either. Yes my keys were inside. After I got them out. I tested this and if you unlock it with the remote, and stand there for 45 seconds it will lock itself back. I tested it 3 times and it was exactly 45 seconds. Is it just my car?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
let me know what happens, I'm thinking my car is posssesed, but I used a stop watch and everytime it was 45 seconds on the nose

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Hrmm, My car did it. Locked the door back after I unlocked it with the remote. Only reason I could think of for this is if you accidently hit the unlock button while putting your keys away. It will make sure the doors relock. I wonder if it relocks if you unlock then open the door and close it? Let me go see....

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Ok, I found that if you unlock using the remote and do not open the door within about 45 seconds, the doors relock. However, if I unlcok via the remote and open a door, it doesn't relock. I assume this is for like I mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure maybe I did hit the button on the door when I left the keys inside. I don't think that I did though b/c I never use that button. Maybe my passenger did it for me, it was this weekend and I was at AF reserves, and absolutely no one, two cops, a guy that works for an auto auction place, myself, a couple of mechanics could open it with a slim jim.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I must have been off base thinking this is what caused me to lock my keys in the car b/c I just checked and you're correct if I unlock it with the remote and open and close the door it doesn't do it.

I discovered this b/c at lunch today I had hit the unlock button then I started talking to someone and heard it lock itself back.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
One last one I will check later sometime is someone a while ago mentioned that the doors locked themself after he stopped, turned his car off and took the key out of the ignition and sat inside his car for a while.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That wouldn't make sense, because if you just shut your car off after driving it, it should be locked anyway sense they lock at about 10 mph automatically. Unless of course he was going really really slow somewhere, must not have been in a hurry.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
They auto lock at 10mph or whatever. But if you unlock them after they auto lock, they dont auto lock again unless you restart the engine, right ? I dunno. Dammm so many things to test out now! HAHAHA

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know. I'll have to take off let them auto lock, come to a stop and take off again, b/c now you have me wondering. Oh well I'll find out in 55 minutes.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
AutoLock at 10 MPH or 3 Min. I know this because of waiting in line to pick up my little girl from school. I unlock creep, creep, creep (never exc 10 mph), if I dont make it up there within 3 minutes the car relocks itself. It may be less than 3 minutes, I've never really timed it.

Not to shoot a shot at anyone here but all Fords that are equiped with the factory Alarm/safety system will auto lock the doors back after they are unlock via remote or key and auto lock after 10 mph. My 2002 Non SVT Focus ZX5 did, my mothers Explorer, and my 95 Mustang did the same also.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I got locked out of my car with this stupid "feature'. We were going for ice cream, I let my sister drive, and when we got out she left the keys in the car. We were only going to be standing there in line so she thought no need to take the keys. Well, before I could get the words out of my mouth to take the keys........click. Doors locked. And since it was summer we had the a/c on and all the windows up.

So there we were locked out. Sis had her cell phone with her, and we called Ford's Road-Side. They sent a tow truck driver out, and he slim-jimmed the door open. I then got out my owners manual and turned the auto lock feature off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
the doors auto lock at prox 4 mph, they auto lock if u don`t open the door and put the key in ignition don`t want to sound harsh but read the owners manuel... [poke] peace

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
yeah no crap read the owners manual thats what my dad told me but i don't have the time 2 do it so i simply didn't [}:)]

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
2003zx3 said:
... don`t want to sound harsh but read the owners manuel... [poke] peace
Wow. My car came with a manuel ? Does it have a Juan and Jaime too ?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts