Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the doors autolock when you are going faster than 4 mph. But every time I pull the handle from the inside after the autolock is engaged the doors open. If I try to open the doors from the outside it doesn't work. Shouldn't the doors not have the ability to open since they are "locked"? I feel like you should have to hit the "unlock" button for the doors to open from the inside. I wouldn't want someone pulling on the handle accidently and opening the door.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I know that the doors autolock when you are going faster than 4 mph. But every time I pull the handle from the inside after the autolock is engaged the doors open. If I try to open the doors from the outside it doesn't work. Shouldn't the doors not have the ability to open since they are "locked"? I feel like you should have to hit the "unlock" button for the doors to open from the inside. I wouldn't want someone pulling on the handle accidently and opening the door.
I believe it's a safety feature in the event you have to quickly exit a locked vehicle. The rears can be set so a child cannot open the doors when the handles are pulled whether the door is locked or unlocked. I guess it's assumed that someone buckled in the front seat won't try to open the door when the car is moving.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Agree the front doors need to open if the handle is pulled from the inside.
Rears can be set to NOT open when autolocked.
I have a friend who had her doors whom had her doors set to NOT automatically lock. It can be done. But the reverse, so the occupants cannot use the handle? very strange... ... ... for serial killers I guess... LOL [idea]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Shouldn't the doors not have the ability to open since they are "locked"?
The doors are set to unlock when the inside handle is pulled. This is an issue between manufacturers. There was a recent car commercial about a car [Mercedes?] that prepares for an accident by unlocking the doors. I think my Acura makes sure the doors are locked if it senses a collision coming.

In the 60's cars had pistol grip handles. There was a problem with people grabbing the handle and opening the door during a accident. This resulted in doors that had to be unlocked to be opened from the inside, and different handles.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Front doors are the same as Ford vehicles have always been.

Rear doors w/o child mode engaged: Doors will unlock after 2 pulls on the inside handle
Rear doors with child mode engaged: Doors will not unlock from inside handle

·
Registered
179 Posts
All of this is spelled out in the "owners manual" that came with your new vehicle. I know most people don't bother to read it, but it's the first thing I do when I take possession of a new car. It eliminates so many headaches in advance because I've already taken the time to learn what the car can/cannot do, how to do it etc. Every vehicle is different, so what may have been in other vehicles you have owned may not be exactly the same in the 2012 Ford Focus.

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All of this is spelled out in the "owners manual" that came with your new vehicle. I know most people don't bother to read it, but it's the first thing I do when I take possession of a new car. It eliminates so many headaches in advance because I've already taken the time to learn what the car can/cannot do, how to do it etc. Every vehicle is different, so what may have been in other vehicles you have owned may not be exactly the same in the 2012 Ford Focus.
I definitely read a lot of the manual including the part about the autolocks. Just seemed strange to me. The reasoning that people have posted does make sense... just wish that it had the capability to automatically unlock when sensing an accident as well. Can't get everything you want I guess! haha

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I definitely read a lot of the manual including the part about the autolocks. Just seemed strange to me. The reasoning that people have posted does make sense... just wish that it had the capability to automatically unlock when sensing an accident as well. Can't get everything you want I guess! haha
It was my understanding that the 2012 Focus comes standard with S.O.S. Post Crash System (the system that unlocks the doors, sounds the horn and puts on the hazards automatically in an accident)

Source:
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=34690

1 - 10 of 10 Posts