Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tires should I run in Autocross on my stock 16 X 6.5 rims.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Alot of people around here run Kumho Estacas.. I think that is how that is spelled. I will be getting a set this season. I am not sure how they wear. They are like 80 or so a tire.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan to run in the stock class, thank you for your help

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Cool. And will these be a second set of tires, or the same set you are going to drive on everyday?

·
Registered
875 Posts
The only thing about the Kuhmo Ecsta Supras is they're HORRIBLE before they're warmed up. I don't have separate AX tires, but some of my friends run Falken Azenis, BFG Comp T/As, and the like.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Falkin Azenis i swear by them

·
Registered
671 Posts
Egz said:
What class are you in?
Last year I ran H-Stock. This year I plan to be in DSP I think it is.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Focus_ryter said:
Last year I ran H-Stock. This year I plan to be in DSP I think it is.
PZEVs are H Stock?! Ohhhh boy, it's gonna be a fun summer!

·
Registered
671 Posts
knightm3 said:
PZEVs are H Stock?! Ohhhh boy, it's gonna be a fun summer!
I have a zetec not a PZEV. I think they are in the same calss any way though.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
For now, they are still HS. Until they reclass it that is. No matters to me, I run STS.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EGZ--they will be a seperate set of tires, I equipped my car with svt rims and tires. Thank you

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Cool. Look for a nice set of r-compounds then. From what it sounds like, if want grip and don't mind a short life, get some Kuhmos V700s. But I've also heard some good things about Toyo Proxes RA1s.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How many races will the RA1s last, I dont know if I can afford more than one set of tires this season. Many of my competitors use Falken Azenis, they seem affordable and have lasted pretty good.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Khumo Estacas are cheap, but the stock tire size is 205/50/16, the closest size for khumo estacas is 205/55/16, will this still allow me to run H-stock? Is there a rule about sidewall size?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Falkin Azenis tires will last u 2 summers with autox and summer daily driving. I only use mine for autox but just thought u'd like to know

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
The wheel has to be stock size. You can run any tire, as long as it meets these requirements:

The tire must not appear on the following list, which may be altered at any time by the SEB upon notification of membership: No tire models are currently listed.

The model of tire must be listed in a current or previous two years of the Tire Guide and Tread Design Guide, or otherwise be approved by the SEB. The tire model must have Department of Transportation approval.

Within each tire model, the sizes which are available must be equally available to all competitors. Tire model variations differing from standard specification, delivered only on a limited basis, or only to selected competitors, may not be used.

No racing tire or recap (on any casing) may be used.

Each tire model must be sold in at least four diameters, with a total of at least six sizes.

Tire must fit the allowable wheels and fender wells without modification.

Each tire must have non-zero measurable tread depth (i.e., points where it is possible to obtain positive measurement values) as described in Section 3.3.D. Tires may not have cord visible at any time during competition.
If you are running stock class, and your competitors are on Azenis, if you can afford it, get the R-compounds. Usually, the estimate is that they will be about 1-2 seconds faster. If you can't afford the R-compounds, Azenis would be a great non-R. Thats what I run. Cheap, yet sticky.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all your help, but I have one last question. Where can I find Falken Azenis for a really good price. Money is tight here

1 - 20 of 25 Posts