Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new season is fixing to start and the biggest rule change is that now the tread wear is 200 instead of 140 where it used to be. What[:)]tires[:)]are going to be best in the lineup now in that tread category?

·
Registered
220 Posts
What[:)]tires[:)]are going to be best in the lineup now in that tread category?
Question has no answer, some of the new tires aren't even out yet (R1R, Rival V2, Kumho)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so your saying that the options out there now arent worth buying until the new models that are being made are come out?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ok so your saying that the options out there now arent worth buying until the new models that are being made are come out?
Maybe, alot comes down to sizing. For a H-Street SVT or a STF SVT on 17" wheels, the Z2 Star Spec in 215/40/17 is probably the PERFECT tire. It's one of the fastest tires and nobody else makes a fast 200TW tire in that size.

Those of us on 15's get to wait on all the other new tires [doorpeek]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im running h street right now in my svt but im running 16 inch tires since they were an easier and cost less to aquire the rim. But may eventually bump up to stf. So im looking for a 215 40 16 to be exact. But I assumed that the tire recommendations wouldnt really go by sizes too much. Any idea of when the new rubbers are coming out or should I really consider the z2 as a top choice no matter what?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Im running h street right now in my svt but im running 16 inch tires since they were an easier and cost less to aquire the rim. But may eventually bump up to stf. So im looking for a 215 40 16 to be exact. But I assumed that the tire recommendations wouldnt really go by sizes too much. Any idea of when the new rubbers are coming out or should I really consider the z2 as a top choice no matter what?
Pretty sure the 215/40/16 doesn't exist.

BFG Rival has a 215/45/16 that's 23.6" diameter. That's a good match to a 16x7 wheel and short enough to help with gearing.

Dunlop has the Z2 Star Spec in a 225/45/16 with a 23.9" diameter. The Start Spec would be the only 225 I would consider stuffing on a 7" wheel

Hankook has a 225/50/16 but its 24.9" diameter and doesn't like being stuffed on a smaller wheel diameter. Plus its TALL

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesnt have to be a 40 I could do a 45. Cant do 225 its a bigger then stock width which isnt allowed in HS. The first test and tune is at the end of February here and the first points is in march so I have a little bit of time but I dont know when the new rires are coming out so idk if I should wait for the new treads to come out or just go with what worked for everyone last season.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im looking for a tire that has a good consistency and wont get greasy at the end of the day. Ive been reading good about the rival and Z2 so I think one of those will be my final choice for this season.

·
Registered
25 Posts
tire size isn't limited in stock (now street), wheel size is. i ran 225/45/17 in all the events i went to in the focus, wheel size is 17x7. anything you can put on that wheel can be used. My favorite street tires on the SVT were the RS3s, but that was a few years ago, maybe better tires out now?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was aware of the rim size rules, has to be stock width but can go up or down a inch in diameter. However I was just reading through the rules and I could not find where it says that Larger then stock width tires are allowed. Im all for having a bigger tire so if this is true then I would love to take advantage of it but id hate to buy a tire that I couldnt use though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
so i went back to the rules as well, and don't see where the non-OE sizes are actually allowed. it isn't where i thought it should be.

However, looking at the street touring category, it calls the tire section width limits an "additional restriction". This would imply that the Street tire width is not restricted. I'd like a better clarification on this, but right now that's all i can offer.

As an example, i was running 225/50-14 hoosiers on my ES miata (14x6 wheels), with stock 14 in wheels at national level events a few years ago. maybe not the fastest setup, but no legality issues.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was aware of the rim size rules, has to be stock width but can go up or down a inch in diameter. However I was just reading through the rules and I could not find where it says that Larger then stock width tires are allowed. Im all for having a bigger tire so if this is true then I would love to take advantage of it but id hate to buy a tire that I couldnt use though.
In street, tire width is unlimited, wheel width is limited to stock width. Wheel diameter is stock +/- 1"

In STF, wheel diameter is unlimited, width restricted to 7.5" and tire width limited to 225 and under.

Just because you can stuff the tire on the wheel doesn't necessarily mean it will be faster. These aren't Hoosiers you are stuffing on your wheels where more was always was faster. The general rule of thumb is the tread width should be close to the wheel width for best performance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A 225 fits on a 7in rim well doesnt it? Going from a 215 to a 225 in street would be a good and reasonable upgrade I think.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agreed that bigger isn't always faster when rim width is limited.

However, the 225 on the 7 in rim is a good fit. also expands the tire choice, since not all good tires are available in 215.

·
Registered
220 Posts
However, the 225 on the 7 in rim is a good fit.
I'd disagree, but testing is truly the only way to prove this to yourself. I did this a few years back on my 240sx. I was running 245's on an 8" wheel. Steering what numb and felt floppy, car was quick but not fast. I put those same 245's on a 9" wheel and they came alive!

Lots of the tire specs have been removed from TireRack.com as they are prepping for the release of the new tires but the 225/45/17 Rival is still there. The Tread width is 8.5", that's just too much tire for a 7" wheel IMHO.

I'll see if I can find my copy but Grassroots Motorsports did a test on this last year. Here is a quote from the tester on RRAX.com, Andy has tested more tires than I have ever bought.

Andy Hollis said:
We found that a 205 Rival on an 8 turned the same lap times as a 225 on an 8, but they did it a bit differently and the feel was different. Only when the 225 went onto a 9 did it pick up time. As a further data point, the AD08R in 205 on 8 was faster than the Rival 205 on 8, but not quite as fast as the 225 Rival on 9.
From the same thread

That could account for why I didn't like the feel of the Rivals vs ZIIs. I was running a 225 on a 7" wheel.
Why on Earth would you do that? A 205 would have been a lot better.

So many years of people successfully cramming Hoosiers onto miniature rims has corrupted the thinking of autocrossers everywhere.
That said, your car isn't going to spontaneously explode by putting a 225 on a 7" wheel

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok now you guys are making things more difficult lol I understand what your saying about the widths and since this isnt drag racing that biggest isnt always better. That being said I dont want to buy the bigger tire if it is known to be slower since this will strictly be a race tire and will never see the street, is there not more info on tires and sizes that seem to be winning in street and stf?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ok now you guys are making things more difficult lol I understand what your saying about the widths and since this isnt drag racing that biggest isnt always better. That being said I dont want to buy the bigger tire if it is known to be slower since this will strictly be a race tire and will never see the street, is there not more info on tires and sizes that seem to be winning in street and stf?
If it were me, at this moment, I'd go with the 215/40/17 Z2 Star Spec.

-Shortest of all the 17" tires (for better gearing, unless you have REALLY, REALLY, REALLY fast courses)
-Tread width of 8" that's within an 1" of your wheel width (The 225 Z2 SS has the same 8" treadwidth)
-Cheaper than the 205 and the 225

1 - 20 of 28 Posts