Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2007 focus with 50000km (30000 miles) and an auto transmission a few months ago, and since then the few times I have checked the trans fluid level with the engine off, it was high, but I figured that maybe it would go down if I checked it properly (with engine on). Today I checked it with the engine on after going through all the gears on a flat surface, etc, after I was driving and the level was as high as always BUT the dipstick was all foamy with bubbles in the fluid.

Also, every time I start driving it from cold the first shift from 2-3 is harsh and soft of 'jumps' a bit, but after that it shifts fine until the next time it is cold started.

I have been driving it for 7000+ km like this and am worried that the transmission life might be shortened/damaged because it was overfilled by someone (the non-ford dealer that I bought it from I guess)

My question is: is it alright to continue driving it for a few more days at least while it is overfilled, and what should I do - get the transmission fluid changed ASAP? (I need to drive it every day this week 150 km a day)

I tried using a siphon to suck out some of the fluid, but I couldn't get it to work...

Thanks for your input

PS this is my first car so I am trying to take good care of it

·
Registered
238 Posts
Your going to want to have the fluid properly drained and replace it with the proper type/amount of fluid. I can't imagine it is helping your trans but I don't imagine it is causing any eminent failure either. I think you will be fine until the end of the week. Just make sure you don't dog the car and just take it easy on the accelerator to avoid an extra strain/pressure on the trans

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
You need to get some of that fluid out. The overfillig has caused the fluid to aerate(to fill with air bubbles), and that's causing your ATX to function improperly. A lube shop, or dealeship will be able to siphon the excess fluid out.

BTW, [welcome] to Focus Fanatics! Stick around, lots of good info here.

(edit) I just noticed your mileage. Go ahead and have the fluid replaced, unless they did at the place you bought it. You may just want to change just to make sure that, if they did change it and screwed up by over filling it, they may have put the wrong type in as well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
look at the stick, see if its a Neutral Check transmission. it might be, but usually fords arnt. itll say on the dipstick 'Check in Neutral" or somthing. if its not a neutral check, there should be a drain plug on the bottom of the trans somewhere. get under it if u can and check. drain it till it stops coming out and fill it back up. and u simply just changed about 40 to 60% of the fluid. add about a 1/2 to be safe, then start and check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
look at the stick, see if its a Neutral Check transmission. it might be, but usually fords arnt. itll say on the dipstick 'Check in Neutral" or somthing. if its not a neutral check, there should be a drain plug on the bottom of the trans somewhere. get under it if u can and check. drain it till it stops coming out and fill it back up. and u simply just changed about 40 to 60% of the fluid. add about a 1/2 to be safe, then start and check.
according to an 07 owners manual I found on the internet, it says to check in park, and I don't have a drain plug as far as I can see.

I think I'll try to get an appointment with ford on tuesday to change it since I am at 50000km anyway (although I think it might not be required till 100000km - could be wrong though). The fluid is still dark red, but I have also been wondering if they topped it up with a different type as well.

Normally do they do a fluid change or flush?

I think next time I would try changing it myself but I don't want to mess with it too much while it is still under warranty (so far I've changed my oil and fuel filter myself though).

Anyway thanks all for your help and I'll try to stick around. I've been reading some things on this forum before and it looks good [thumb]

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
I will never let my ATX fluid go until 60,000 miles(100,000k), 30,000(50,000k) is long enough. I also live in a mountainous region, so the tranny gets a good workout.

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
Oh, and don't have it flushed. Too many people have ended up with problems after a flush.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok cool, thanks

So far I've been enjoying driving my car and have been happy with the gas mileage. Over the past ~7000km I have gotten and average of 6.19L/100km = 38mpg [:D] but I do drive veeeeeerrry gently and mostly highway

1 - 8 of 8 Posts