Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh, so I just got this car yesterday and am noticing a little problem..

As I accelerate it goes 1st to 2nd fine, then from 2nd to 3rd the engine speeds itself up then clunks into gear.
I'm thinking shift solenoid, though not sure.

The car was dealer inspected before I bought it, so I still have the safety certificate.

Is this something to worry about, or a common issue on these cars?

2001 Focus SE sedan, 2.0L SOHC automatic, 110,000km

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You may want to check the filter as well... a dirty filter will cause very odd shifts.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Happens to me too. Looks like you have an SPI just like me. Illinipo came to a conclusion that this could be the shift solenoid.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Split Port Injection

its a SOHC engine (2 valve) instead of the DOHC (4 valve)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Split Port Injection

its a SOHC engine (2 valve) instead of the DOHC (4 valve)
Oh yah, just looked up "SPI". Yah, mine is the wussy/SOHC engine, and says "Split port" on it.

Sucks to have this happen on my second day of owning the car.
My introduction to the wonderful world of owning a Ford?

I got the complete vehicle maintenance receipts in a folder with it, I'll see if I can find anything interesting or related.

ed: Transmission flushed exactly one year ago.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I would take it straight back to the dealer and have them "recheck" it.... sounds to me like their "tech" didnt do his job.

Dont be discouraged, it happens to all brands of cars.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
1) Check fluid level with the engine warm and idling. I doubt it's a torque converter problem because that would cause problems in all gears.
2) AT filters should be changed every 25k miles according to Ford's service recommendations, however most Ford mechanics will tell you that 50-60k filter change intervals are ok with the new Mercon V fluid recommended for your transmission.

I'd go back to the dealer if you don't find that the transmission is low on fluid. If it is low on fluid, I'd look for the leak. Filter kits should come with a gasket, and we have How-To's on changing fluid although I don't recommend flushing because it costs so much since the fluid is $4/qt.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
You may want to check the filter as well... a dirty filter will cause very odd shifts.
My car is doing the same thing except it's doing it in the 3-4 shift too but I am not getting any codes. I was told it could be the filter o-ring or rubber seal isn't on but I don't remember seeing that when I changed it. It didn't start slipping until the fluid and filter change.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yah, that's what I thought caused it (filter changes, fluid flush). Damn techs doing a warranty job and not paying attention probably.

I've never seen a problem with an automatic transmission before. You used to be able to never touch them and they'd last forever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts